Starfinder Playlist

I had a system crash and lost my campaign info...

Hello.

I had a system crash and lost the DM campaign info and my backup is a little out of date. Now, I have access to a players system (ultimate license here, no license there) and have managed to get the campaign.dat he has stored in his Cache out. The file header says FGPAK1 and that, I am assuming, is some sort of proprietary archival system.

Now, this post is me hoping I can, possibly with help, dig something out of this campaign.dat file. Is there anything that can be recovered out of that? I had a handful of tokens I had edited specifically for the campaign we were in and we lost a good bit of character data. The file is 20mb so it's gotta have something in it. I could post the file to a file host somewhere if there is a means to get anything out of it.

Thanks in advance..

I don't think you are going to get anything out of the .dat file, I believe they are encrypted. On the characters, I'm not that familiar with unlicensed clients but if they are like the lite version and have a manage characters button they can click that and in the bottom pane campaign section click on your campaign name and may be able to load the last version of the character they used as read only.

Yeah, I know I won't be able to. But the folks who make the software must be able to decrypt that information, as they encrypted it. That's why I'm asking for help from them!

I'll try out that manage character thing. I hope it works =D

There is no manage characters button anymore?

edit: Not in an unlicensed version! But your reply got me thinking outside of the box. I got all my players to email me their cache.dat out of their cache folders and I was able to do Manage Character on MY install for each and export all the characters XML one by one.

So. Since I save logs and have backups of my maps, I'm just missing a few custom tokens! Which sucks a little but is far better than losing a few months of character progress.

Thanks anyway! All's good! But if I may make a suggestion... please let unlicensed players export their character XML. You probably had a good reason for not allowing this but it sure would help with the rare case of problem recovery. Not a real huge deal, though, since there is still technically a workaround.

=)
    Last edited by darkling; December 12th, 2012 at 07:58.

Thread Information