DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Suggestion to SmiteWorks: Appoint Community Manager for Game Calendar

Appoint a person from the community to be the community manager responsible for keeping the Game Calendar relevant and clear of dead games. It is a pretty bad new user experience when someone new to FG goes through the calendar to look for a game to join and is met with a large portion of (seemingly) dead game.

The community manager would have access to the email address used by the person to sign up to the FG site, and would contact each GM to confirm whether the games are still active or not. A protocol of, let's say, 2 emails would be sent, and then the community manager would make the game "not accept new players" so it disappears from the public view.

Thoughts?

I agree something needs to be done with the game calendar and all the old games. However I would have to say that a 'Community Manager' with access to every ones email addresses is totally not cool. There has to be a better way, and when I have had more sleep I will try to come up with some suggestions. Until then, we have some super brainy people around here, maybe one of them knows a good way to handle this.

There is a way an email could be sent by a community manager without them having access to the address. It could work the same way emails are sent if you receive a PM, through an intermediary.

I'd like to add my weight to the idea that the calendar needs cleaning up. I also think it should default order by last GM activity (as oppose to the current alphanumeric sorting). If your ruleset doesn't begin with a 3 or 4 you have to be creative with your naming to get your game seen in the current system of sorting.
    Timezone: GMT
    Currently GMing: Ruins of Symbaroum 5E

Ultimate Fantasy Grounds Licence holder since 2013

This would make a lot of sense. The same thing used to happen on herocentral.net and it worked quite well.

Blog Entries
    Really good idea.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Good point I had not considered regarding access to email addresses. That said, many in this community are in their 40's and have real life responsibilities far reaching and serious. I would think a serious and mature community manager could be signed under NDA by SmiteWorks and be trusted with the information.

(I realized that my opinion on privacy may differ from others though, so an indirect way to send email, like allowing the use of the email option on the account's profile page, would be a decent fallback.)

Quote Originally Posted by lachancery
    That said, many in this community are in their 40's and have real life responsibilities far reaching and serious
    Oh dear. I sence a perversion of the traditional way people lie about their age online poluting the future internet.
    Timezone: GMT
    Currently GMing: Ruins of Symbaroum 5E

Ultimate Fantasy Grounds Licence holder since 2013

My thought is a better calendar which was more engaging might encourage the content creators (e.g. those posting calendar games) to better manage and prune their own games.

Problems like old data can also be managed by the system itself (e.g. hide inactive games - email owners when there game is about to be hidden in case it's merely a hiatus period etc...)

Of course, then instead of a Community Manager, your looking for a Systems Developer...
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Ok, I have given it some thought. Here is my idea:

We get someone that can be a 'Community Manager' or a Games Moderator. This person (or persons) would then be given access to post in ALL games regardless of if they have joined said game or not.

They could then make a post in older game entries. Then if they get no response after a week or so, they can kill the game entry. This bypasses any need for email access of any kind, and also goes a very long way to insuring that all game entries on the calendar are actively maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by unerwünscht
    Ok, I have given it some thought. Here is my idea:

We get someone that can be a 'Community Manager' or a Games Moderator. This person (or persons) would then be given access to post in ALL games regardless of if they have joined said game or not.

They could then make a post in older game entries. Then if they get no response after a week or so, they can kill the game entry. This bypasses any need for email access of any kind, and also goes a very long way to insuring that all game entries on the calendar are actively maintained.
    Sounds like a fine plan.

Back the calendar update request!
    GMD Core RPG
    Savage worlds
    Basic roleplaying
    Age of Rebellion & Edge of Empire
    D&D 5th Ed
    Gurps

Ultimate licence user.

Purchase GMD CORE RPG Here:
    https://www.gmdonline.co.uk/shop/

Thread Information