STAR TREK 2d20

Introduction to GMing

Hello folks!

I'm going to be running a game using FG for the first time next month, and I'd like to start my preparations. FG is a big, somewhat intimidating program and I've yet to find a good GM tutorial geared toward beginners.

I have a few extra hurdles as well. I'll be using the OGL Game of Thrones ruleset which has some key differences to 3.5--namely armor as damage reduction and defense as an active roll. Is this going to be a problem? Will I have to dive into ruleset modification or is it flexible enough to allow these kinds of departures from the hard coded ruleset?

You never "have to use" the automation built into the rulesets. You can always just roll the dice, apply the modifiers, and figure out the differences.

For armor as DR, as a GM, you can set up DR effects on each character in the combat tracker with no duration (i.e. never expires), and it will apply automatically. Drop a 3.5E monster with DR into the combat tracker to see an example of a DR effect, or check out the User Guide.

For defense as an active roll, that will have to be rolled separately. The built-in code will compare to the fixed AC value when making attack rolls. You can ignore the result, and adjust accordingly.

Feel free to post questions as you delve into FG. It's easiest to start simple, and incorporate more features into your game as you have time.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by hairrorist
    I've yet to find a good GM tutorial geared toward beginners.
    Have you looked at the GM videos by Keith Hershey Jr.?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...A&feature=plcp
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information