FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: rules query

rules query

Hi,

Had a situation in the game tonight where one of the players an arcane archer, wanted to perform a multi action. He wanted to cast a spell and then do a bow shot.

I know multi-actions incur -2 per extra action. But can a character cast a spell then shoot a bow? It wasn't an issue during the game I let it go ahead. But I would like to know for future reference?

I have tried to find it in deluxe where it says no. But cannot find it.

Anyone know?
    GMD Core RPG
    Savage worlds
    Basic roleplaying
    Age of Rebellion & Edge of Empire
    D&D 5th Ed
    Gurps

Ultimate licence user.

Purchase GMD CORE RPG Here:
    https://www.gmdonline.co.uk/shop/

It really would depend upon the trappings, if the caster needed his hands free to cast a spell then he would have to fire an arrow (-2 multi-action penalty) then drop the bow (free action) and then cast a spell (-2 multi-action penalty).

If on the next round he wanted to cast a spell, pick up the bow, and fire it then it would be three actions: cast spell (-4 penalty), pick up bow (technically a -4 action but with no dice roll) and the fire the bow (-4 penalty).

HOWEVER if it has been agreed that the Arcane Archer does not need free hands, or casts the spell just verbally then he is just performing two actions in a round.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I would have to say they could cast with something in their hands else wizards cannot hold staves, wands etc. But I suppose the multi action will have to stand...

Is it possible to cast multiple spells in one round? Of course those may impose the spirit roll as per maintaining spells rule?
    GMD Core RPG
    Savage worlds
    Basic roleplaying
    D&D 5th Ed
    Gurps

Ultimate licence user.

You cannot use the same skill twice (normally) in one turn.

There is an adventure card that let's you take two turns one after the other. Certain edges also allow multiple attacks but again they are the exception.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Cheers, I only just re-read the multi-action rules and it states what you have said
    GMD Core RPG
    Savage worlds
    Basic roleplaying
    D&D 5th Ed
    Gurps

Ultimate licence user.

Ok just a few more queries.

After scouring the rules.. Which I hate... This is why I don't touch d&d ... Bloody rules lawyers.

The following situations have come up. Now im not unreasonable. I make a decision for quickness in a game then go away and look it up in time for next session.

A player has the following edges ..marksmanship and a fantasy racial edge double shot.

I have allowed double shot to be used in multi actions no problems. I have allowed it at the end of an aim action. But I have not allowed it as a multiaction with marksmanship as marksmanship has rof 1 only.

I have also allowed no multiaction with aim as it states no movement. This I have interpereted as the character staring down his arrow looking for that ideal shot. I have not allowed casting and aiming in the same round. As I envision a lot of gesturing in casting spells.

Also since marksmanship is the same as aiming I have restricted it to a non multiaction action.

does this all sound correct? I hope I've explained it correctly .. It is late and im typing on my phone lol!
    GMD Core RPG
    Savage worlds
    Basic roleplaying
    D&D 5th Ed
    Gurps

Ultimate licence user.

The people here are quite knowledgeable, but if you want a definitive answer from the devs you can check the Pinnacle forum:

https://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17643

Still, despite the specific rules, it's still firing two shots (two damage rolls), so Marksman would not apply.
    Of course, that post is a few years old and I'm not sure if they altered any of the rules since then.

+1 for Pinnacle forums

That said, from what I have gathered in my questioning there, the spirit of marksman is that if you don't move your miniature (e.g. use 1 or more of your 6 pace to change you position on the map) then you are NOT moving.

But also note that the Marksman ability only applies to weapons with a ROF 1 - not sure if "double-shot" nullifies this ?
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

found all the answers on their forums. You can't use found shot with marksmanship and you cannot multiaction with an aim action. I'm all happy now
    GMD Core RPG
    Savage worlds
    Basic roleplaying
    D&D 5th Ed
    Gurps

Ultimate licence user.

Thread Information