5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Question on editing modules...

So I have created an adventure module and realized I need to edit it and add to it here and there. I have a bad feeling I screwed myself here... Is there any way to do this or do I have to start all over again? Thanks. (it's a 4e module btw)

It depends what the editing is you want to do and if you don't mind making XML changes...

When I create modules, I use a specific campaign just for making that module - build the story, images/maps, NPCs, encounters, etc. in that campaign and then export from that campaign to the module. If I need to change the module I exported, I go back into the "module making" campaign, do the changes and re-export the module.

Do you still have the campaign you used to create (export) the module?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you still have the campaign just open the campaign do whatever you need and re-export. If you don't have the campaign then you will need to unzip the module and make a campaign module with the contents edit it and re-export. Personally, I don't ever delete adventure modules because I tend to adjust them a lot.

I've got a game starting soon, so I don't have time to explain how to build the campaign from the module. Do you need help with that?

Yes, I deleted the campaign long ago. But if I can unzip the contents and just create a campaign again I can just continue from there and edit as I please and add to the story and everything and then just export later?

As Griogre says, you can "unzip" your module file to create a campaign - I've just tried that with one of mine. You need to do a little bit of extra "fiddling" to get it to work, but it's not much:

1. Unzip your module (.mod file) into the <FG App Data Directory>\campaigns folder - so, if you had a module called "MyModule.mod" you will extract the contents into <FG App Data Directory>\campaigns\MyModule. If you're having difficulty extracting the module, rename it from .mod to .zip - e.g. MyModule.zip, and use any zip utility to extract.
    2. Copy a campaign.xml file from a campaign you already have and paste it into the new campaign directory.
    3. If you have any images/maps in your module they have probably just been extracted into the main folder of the campaign. Create a new folder within the campaign folder called images and move all of the images into the new images folder.
    4. Start Fantasy Grounds, go to "Load Campaign" and you should see your new campaign there with the same name as the directory you unzipped it to in step #1.
    5. Start the campaign and hopefully you will have access to everything from the module.
    6. Edit as required and re-export your module.
    7. Do not delete the module making campaign - keep it in case you need to use it later. If your long list of campaigns is annoying you, just "archive" off the campaign directory to a backup folder somewhere and copy it back when you need to use it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Awesome! Thank you so much for the instructions. I will now be able to continue working on this!

Hmm, it seems everything is there beside all the storyline I have written and the encounters I have made, which is the most important part. (Edit) Nevermind, the db.xml got replaced somehow. Put the old one back and it's good to go.
    Last edited by Desmodaeus; November 4th, 2012 at 23:34.

Thread Information