FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Just to throw my opinion in here real quick. I think it is important when promoting FGII to keep focus on the fact that it is not a game. It is an application that simulates the face to face gaming environment allowing for many different games to be played, but it in and of itself is not a game.

I stress this point because many people get the wrong idea when they think of FGII as a game.

Blog Entries
    hi isamill - its a one off cost - no subscription. there are commercial rulesets and other add-ons available at additional cost if wanted. full license lets you host a game for others to connect to with a lite or better license while an ultimate license lets anyone join your game - even those with a demo license only.
    as unerwunscht points out - this isnt a new role playing game - it allows you to connect with other players to play your game. it does include a good ruleset for dnd3.5e and pathfinder and has all teh mechanics for 4e but no content (eg no spells, classes, equipment, monsters as these are all copyrighted and not for distribution) but there are guides here for collecting teh info using scripts and a dnd insider subscription.
    there are commercial rulesets for other games (like savage worlds, iron heroes, castles&crusades, arcana evolved, d20 modern, call of cthulu, mutants and masterminds, basic role playing and rolemaster) and lots of less polished community generated rulesets for other games.
    sometimes it can take a little while to get yourself into a regular group or to start your own but there are plenty of friendly and helpful people about to help you.

previously NZ but now Mt Isa Qld Australia
    Thanks for the info Damned - I will be going for the full liscence because I would like to get back into GMing (after a twenty year hiatus and will be rather rusty lol) but would like to be a player for a while to get the hang of things again (I'll have to polish the old platemail and replace the worm eaten handle on my mace first though)
    Due to a busy schedule to Feb 2013 (Holidays!!!) I can't commit to anything just yet and I am a firm believer in reliability when you commit to a group.
    I have a question if anyone doesn't mind answering
    1. I used to play ADnD 1st and 2nd edition - what is the closest ruleset on FGII that supports this? and would it be benificial to have a rulebook (Xmas present for me from the kids!!!) - from previous posts I have read either Pathfinder, 3.5e or castles and crusades?
    thanks for everyones help in advance

Blog Entries
    My understanding is that C&C is closest to AD&D and 2nd edition. It is a lot more of a "basic" rule set than 3.5e, 4e or Pathfinder I think though... and by this I mean that less is automated and "drag-able" from the rule books.

Dr_Venture is working on some updates; maybe get in touch with him for more information.

Although, the vast majority of my DMing experience is in exactly those rule sets... I run Pathfinder, 3.5e and Rolemaster games using FG... as a DM you can think about the game/plot/story and hopefully you have a player or two who knows the more recent iterations really well and ask them to point out how the rules adjudicate now - and learn that way.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    castles&crusades is very much old school d&d - not like 3.5.
    it does use some d20 elements though like ascending armour classes (not descending).
    instead of tables and tables to cover every possible eventuality it uses a system called siege engine / siege checks which really speeds things up.
    castles&crusades is a commercial ruleset - $10, while 3.5e is included free. the other thing to note about c&c is that even your players need to buy the ruleset if they want access to the spell lists/descriptions, inventory etc. otherwise they can type stuff in manually or you can drag stuff in for them.
    there is plenty of automation in the existing rule-set - it is really only missing draggable inventory items. dr_venture is working on an updated ruleset which includes that and some other nice features. this might be a little while away yet as it is a big job. who knows it might be here in time for you in Feb/Mar.
    download the quick start rules here: https://www.trolllord.com/cnc/ccqs.html gives you an intro to siege checks and basic classes. you can buy the full print versions in hard cover, softcover or digest from the https://www.trolllord.com/ store or you can buy them in PDF from https://rpgnow.com or https://drivethrurpg.com
    you only need the players handbook to learn all you need to know. monsters & treasure and classic monsters are monster tomes and the castle keepers guide is full of extra rules and suggestions - if they suit you or your game.

Blog Entries
    Oh and to actually answer your last question - yes, whatever flavour you play the FG ruleset does not replace your own copies of the books/rules. you will still find it much easier to have a copy of the books on hand (or pdf) to refer to and to get back up to speed with. The fantasy grounds rulesets are not intended to replace these.

EDIT: some one already made this point (I didn't check what page I was on) - Oops!
    Last edited by bennis1980; December 2nd, 2012 at 09:42.
    Timezone: GMT
    Currently GMing: Ruins of Symbaroum 5E

Ultimate Fantasy Grounds Licence holder since 2013

previously NZ but now Mt Isa Qld Australia
    Thanks so much everyone

I'm also finding D&D Next playtest rules to be fairly close to AD&D right now as well but there isn't any support built into FG for it right now. But as been already mentioned Castles & Crusades by Troll Lord is pretty close except for AC -10 being AC 30 (counting up AC instead of down).

Quote Originally Posted by unerwünscht
    Just to throw my opinion in here real quick. I think it is important when promoting FGII to keep focus on the fact that it is not a game. It is an application that simulates the face to face gaming environment allowing for many different games to be played, but it in and of itself is not a game.

I stress this point because many people get the wrong idea when they think of FGII as a game.
    Completely agree here. You see occasional posts on this forum from people who have the wrong idea about what Fantasy Grounds is, what the community provides and what actions players/GMs have to take to play games.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information