STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any active campaigns running atm, but all the ones I have run to date have been text chat only.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I use only FG text chat for both of my campaigns. So far, it's worked pretty well... especially in the Old West game, where the indistinction of the voices of the participants adds a lot to the immersion in the environment. I can describe a NPC as speaking with a thick Irish accent and type his dialog with just a few little cliches, like calling the characters "lads" or a girl a "lass"... and the players read it more in character than I would ever be able to fake an Irish accent.

The downside is speed - it definitely slows down the game. We'll have to see if text is something that folks like long-term for the Greyhawk campaign... I think it has less value there, as people are less clear about what accent an Elf or Dwarf should have. Thus, I think they'd be less distracted if I don't make an attempt at it other than the most generalized sense.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Any of the text only games that I played (particularly during the FGcon) were very atmospheric, I found myself getting truely sucked into the story. My only complaint was sitting forward staring at the screen in silence for 3/4 hrs was physically uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

On the other hand, with the mostly voice games the ice was broken very quickly and by the end of the session my side was sore from laughing so hard. People didn't have a problem getting into character although they had to expose themselves to ridicule (oops, that's me I'm talking about)
    Timezone: GMT
    Currently GMing: Ruins of Symbaroum 5E

Ultimate Fantasy Grounds Licence holder since 2013

What I have found that works best is in-character chat and actions are done through FG and OOC chatter/metagame/DM questions are done through voice. This preserves the log for a nice read-through for future players as well as allows most people to get immersed behind their persona more. I find that most players find more comfort in the slight anonymity that text provides as they don't have to worry about doing silly voices or even playing a different sex character.
    Last edited by joshuha; October 26th, 2012 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    What I have found that works best is in-character chat and actions are done through FG and OOC chatter/metagame/DM questions are gone through voice.
    Wow! I would have never imagined that this is even possible. We do the exact opposite. The players kept getting sidetracked into long irrelevant discussions. I insisted that all of that be done through the chat window, and so now it is easy for me to ignore. When the jokes, etc., were done with voice, many players in the group had a tough time ignoring and kept getting sucked into responding, causing the game to really drag.

This shows that there really is the full combination of possibilities and that they all seem to work well, depending on the group, GM, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    What I have found that works best is in-character chat and actions are done through FG and OOC chatter/metagame/DM questions are gone through voice. This preserves the log for a nice read-through for future players as well as allows most people to get immersed behind their persona more. I find that most players find more comfort in the slight anonymity that text provides as they don't have to worry about doing silly voices or even playing a different sex character.
    I actually thought about this after I wrote my initial reply to this post. I miss the log after each session when we just talk. So thats a very good idea actually. My players are also not very much into "in character" acting, so maybe this is a way for them to some actual roleplaying, if they just have to type it instead. We have one player who types very slow though, Ill have to talk with him about this.

Thanks for your post, that gave me kick to go further with that. .

In the game that I am running, I am using all text. We do have a Skype session going for OOC chatter/ rules clarifications and links that cannot be viewed in FG. I have been in sessions doing mixtures like that and it works well.

The one thing I don't like about using voice exclusively is the one deep voiced guy that is playing the peppy female gnome and attempting to do the voice or not attempting to do the voice and you confuse him with someone else..
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

We use personal Ts voice server, in game chat is for whispers and for spelling of names places etc.

everyone waits there turn and acts or describes their actions on Ts. Chat is also used for afks and brbs etc..

Generally everyone stays in character unless something funny happens then all is chaos for a bit while we have a moment to joke about it and get it out of the system and then back to the game.

I'm very lucky to have a couple of decent group of players

Thread Information