DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Easiest way to mod a mod

Quick question: I'm working on editing a mod file, but I'm finding that the only way I can do so is to repack the files into the .mod file every time I make a change, which is a colossal PITA. Am I doing something wrong: is there an easier way to make changes to the XML files and reload them into FG without repacking the zip and changing it to a .mod *every* time I make an edit?
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

I use WinZip that allows me to edit the XML code (using Notepad++) and when I save it, it automatically adds the updated version back into the mod file and then I reload FGII to test.

I do not know if any other file compression apps works the same way, but it was the reason I bought Winzip as I got fed up doing it the slow way.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

For my rulesets / extensions, I wrote a small batch file to invoke 7-zip from the command line, zip up the xml files and put them into the modules directory.

So when I am working on a module, I just edit the common.xml file (for player module) or db.xml (for GM module) and then run the batch file. Takes 1-2 seconds.

I usually have the module XML files stored under the ruleset directory in /support/modules/module_name and keep the batch file (publishModules.bat) in the support/modules directory. I've enclosed the code below, although it is quite hard-coded to my purpose, but you might be able to subvert it to your cause with some minor editing.

Code:
    copy /Y .\swexpg\common.xml .\swexpg\client.xml
    del ..\..\..\..\modules\swex_pg_final.mod
    "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z" a -tzip ../../../../modules/swex_pg_final.mod -x!.git .\swexpg\*
    del ..\..\..\..\modules\swex_gm_final.mod
    "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z" a -tzip ../../../../modules/swex_gm_final.mod -x!.git .\swexgm\*
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

I think what Doswelk/phantomwhale suggest is the fastest method. Unfortunately, you can't have module files uncompressed in their own directory like you can when working with extensions.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks very much for the tips, guys - much appreciated! I feel like the FG development model is kicking me in the shins no matter which direction I turn... *sigh*
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Thread Information