DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 50 of 54 First ... 404849505152 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

If you look up CBloader and it's community-made content you have a working (for windows at least) offline character builder that can output character sheets for printing and contains all the content from the game officially released, as well as a bunch of community released homebrew addons that you can get. Things like Zeitgeist parts, war of the burning sky, eberron etc.

I am aware of CBLoader as an alternative to the Character Builder, but what online resource has all the data from the Compendium?

Losing access to the Compendium is kind of a big deal for those of us still running 4E. I was thinking of using 4EParser to scrape the entire Compendium, but i'm currently locked out of my account after the password reset from a week or two ago. Waiting for customer service to help.

Would love to know about an alternative!

Thanks!

I've emailed you with some details on how to find and keep it updated! It's currently a community led endeavor

Quote Originally Posted by Shimrath View Post
    I was thinking of using 4EParser to scrape the entire Compendium, but i'm currently locked out of my account after the password reset from a week or two ago. Waiting for customer service to help.
    Customer Service notified me that they have a high volume of requests currently, and so the clock is ticking on my ability to parse the Compendium. Has anyone already parsed it entirely that would be willing to share the MOD file(s) with me? Just in case time runs out. . . (I've been paying for DDI continuously, so i promise i'm not trying to steal it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shimrath View Post
    Customer Service notified me that they have a high volume of requests currently, and so the clock is ticking on my ability to parse the Compendium. Has anyone already parsed it entirely that would be willing to share the MOD file(s) with me? Just in case time runs out. . . (I've been paying for DDI continuously, so i promise i'm not trying to steal it!)
    Any chance you happened upon a MOD file(s) or finished parsing the compendium? Literally found out about FG two days ago and that DDI was going away last night. Dx I parsed everything but the Companions & Familiars, but I've also never done this and don't know if I did it right. x: Glad that I came across this thread when I did. @.@

we can't distribute the mod files...but I'm curious if we could link the xml files that were parsed by the 4e parser, so that gm's can at least parse their own mods from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossems View Post
    we can't distribute the mod files...but I'm curious if we could link the xml files that were parsed by the 4e parser, so that gm's can at least parse their own mods from them?
    Linking the XML is basically exactly the same as distributing the mod files. It's the content itself that is copyright, not the way it's packaged.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My thoughts are to completely parse the xml, and create mods that comply with the 4e SRD. Removing those terms that are copyrighted. The most work would probably be in rewriting the classes and races. I still run 4e Mods myself, and it's a bummer that new DM's have no way to parse the files to run their own content. There's got to be a solution some how.

Otherwise it's just time to get out the old elbow grease and create all your own content from the pdfs.

Goodbye D&D Insiders
    Due to the Silverlight platform no longer being supported by Microsoft, the Dungeons & Dragons Insider service will be ending effective December 31, 2019.
    Seems that at least providing a linked resource to their DB or an API would be fair, or at least let someone else host one. unless Silverlight is just an excuse to shut down support for legacy products.

My thoughts are to completely parse the xml, and create mods that comply with the 4e SRD. Removing those terms that are copyrighted. The most work would probably be in rewriting the classes and races.
    I can't see how this can be done within the 4E SRD and GSL (Game System License). The 4E SRD is not like other SRDs, it just allows specifically listed references to be used - i.e. referencing something in the allowed Core Rulebooks, not actually using the statistics. From the SRD: "You may use any 4E Reference in your Licensed Product, assuming the reader knows or can learn the meaning of that 4E Reference from the Core Rulebooks."

The SRD also states: "To remain in compliance with the GSL, you may not reproduce any running text, statistics block, or table from the Core Rulebooks, nor may you define, redefine, or alter the definition of any 4E Reference" So you can't even rewrite stuff in your own words.

... it's a bummer that new DM's have no way to parse the files to run their own content..
    Yeah, it is a big shame. But with the Microsoft Silverlight going away, the main way to get access to repeatable formatted data to create your own (personal use) modules has gone away.

There's got to be a solution some how.
    Wizards deliberately made the 4E GSL very restrictive, so I can't see a way to produce modules that can be distributed. Maybe someone will come up with another option for people who have access to legally owned data to create FG modules for their own use.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information