STAR TREK 2d20
Page 42 of 54 First ... 32404142434452 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

I posted a new parser that outputs the mundane items twice. One output is formatted with cost as "string", the description as "flavor", and a "mitype" field. Those entries are under "reference.items" along with all the magic items. The other output is the same as before. Those entries are under "reference.mundaneitems". Going directly to the module works as before and references the old window types ("referencearmor", "referenceweapon", and "referenceequipment".) Going through the Items interface now also works.

I have higher priority items
    Understood as 4E is not a money-maker for FG anymore. All the work you have done so far is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help.

Absolutely, thanks for the work you do put in Moon, and thanks valeros for keeping the parser working

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrey View Post
    I don't suppose there's an alternative to this that works on Linux, is there? Fantasy Grounds works fine on WINE, but unfortunately this program doesn't. I'm guessing there's a browser component to the program? If so, then apparently that component would have used libgluezilla on WINE, but that library has been discontinued...
    Just repeating this question; I mean, I know I could just manually enter all the information in theory, but in practice that's just not going to happen - and I don't have access to a Windows computer to run the parser on.

Blog Entries
    Hi mrgrey this is a tool written by valeros - it exists in the form you see here. Im sure you could get it to run in a WineSkin with some effort though.

I don't suppose there's an alternative to this that works on Linux, is there?
    There is not alternative of which I am aware. This program uses .NET extensively. I think there is a push to get .NET on a lot more platforms (.NET CORE) including Linux.

The problem is, the web browser component of .Net doesn't work on Linux at all. If I had a copy of the source code, I could take a look at seeing if there's a way to do the same thing in Linux and get roughly the same output, but the only way to run this program on a Linux machine, until the Mono community come up with a replacement for libgluezilla, is with a VM running Windows.

the web browser component of .Net doesn't work on Linux at all
    So does the program not start or does the browser portion just not work? I ask because it is possible to make an alternative where the entries are downloaded using HttpWebRequest instead. (Note that saying it is possible and I promise to do it are not the same.) But ripping the browser out of the program as a whole is a lot. It is really integrated into the program to the point of taking it out even if not used/needed would be a lot of effort and would require two versions of the program. Probably not willing to do that.

The program doesn't start, near as I can tell. It certainly doesn't open a window of any description. As soon as I use wine or mono to open it, I first receive an error saying that libgluezilla is missing, followed by unhandled NullReferenceExceptions due to System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser not being available.

So another problem that I just found out that really makes removing the WebBrowser not an option is that the WebBrowser output changes the HTML. (It does things like changing the capitalization of tags and adding line breaks.) And the parser is extremely sensitive to the HTML being exactly as the WebBrowser provides. Sorry

the web browser component of .Net doesn't work on Linux at all
    mrgrey, try the new executables attached on the first entry of this thread. The Compendium Reader and File Parser may work for you as I removed all references to a WebBrowser. One executable downloads entries to files, the other parses the files into modules.

Thread Information