STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

4E Item Parser

Parser updated to help create smaller modules. The only input accepted is the original text files left behind by the original parser. (Fantasy Grounds ".mod" files will not work.)

Requires .NET Core 3.1 (x86, not x64)

Output can be a single module or multiple modules, created all at once, broken down by the entry source (i.e., "Published in") or by hard-coded pre-defined categories. The module(s) must be manually moved to the Fantasy Grounds "module" folder.

All output is filtered by the Sources and Entry Types selected. Also, for some options of multiple modules, only certain entry types will be included. (For example, the option to create multiple modules for Powers by Class will only include Powers in the output modules even if other entry types are selected.)

When creating multiple modules "By Source", the Dungeon magazines are combined into one module by default. The same for Dragon magazines. There is an option to not combine magazines and have each magazine as its own module.

When creating multiple modules, custom module thumbnails can be used for each module. Simply replace the appropriate thumbnail(s) under the appropriate sub-directory of the "thumbnails" directory. (For example, for a custom thumbnail for the Monster Vault book, replace the "Monster Vault.png" file under the "thumbnails/by source" directory. Or for the thumbnail for Wizard powers, replace the "Wizard.png" file under the "thumbnails/powers by class" directory.) The name must be character for character the same as the existing file. (There is an option to override this behavior and use the same thumbnail for all modules created.)

When creating multiple modules, the names of the modules will be named by combining the Prefix and Suffix entered in the tool to the hard-coded name. The hard-coded name will be the same as the thumbnail name. For example, if you put "4E" for the prefix and "Powers" for the suffix and select Powers by Class, you will get modules named "4E Wizard Powers", "4E Rogue Powers", etc. (A space character is automatically added after the prefix and at the start of the suffix otherwise the above example would result in modules named "4EWizardPowers", "4ERoguePowers", etc.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by valeros; May 19th, 2020 at 02:34.

Requires .NET.

Also, remember that magical armor, implements, and weapons Compendium entries do not include the base mundane armor/weapon info so you will have to modify the magical item to match the specific mundane armor/weapon to which you want it paired.

Changed executable to leave items in a folder with the module name as well as attempting to create the module file. If the .mod file is bad, use the FGPEMUtility.exe utility from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ to package the folder as a .mod file. (Be sure to select .MOD in the FGPEMUtility application because .pak is the default.)
    Last edited by valeros; November 5th, 2013 at 03:33.

eeeeee!

Can't wait to get home and try this. Been waitin' to parse Mordekainen's forever.

Hi!

DUDE! You gonna be one popular hombre for having done this!

Hats of to you!

Primarch

Hi!

Valeros, I have run into a interesting problem. I can successfully download and parse the selected entries, but instead of one "module" I get 4 files. A common and definition xml file a thumbnail png file and a mod file that is only 1 kb in size. The size of the common db file is almost 19megs, all the items on the compendium.

If I transfer just the 1kb mod file, fantasy grounds doesn't even recognize it, thus it does not appear on the module activation section. If I transfer all files to the proper modules folder, still no usable module to activation in the module activation section.

From expereince I know that a standard fantasy ground mod file can be extracted into the components above using some unzip program. However I cannot just "re-zip" them with your parser products into a workable module.

Is it supposed to produce just on file (not 4) or is there another step?

I would of sworn I have seen a xml to mod converter, but perhaps I am mistaken

Any help appreciated.

Primarch

Quote Originally Posted by primarch
    However I cannot just "re-zip" them with your parser products into a workable module.
    Yes you can - zip up the common.xml, definition.xml and thumbnail.png files into one file. Make sure you use ZIP compression not RAR or anything else. Also ensure you zip the 3 files, not the directory they are in. Then rename the .ZIP extension to .MOD.

Of course, it would be nice if the parser did this for you! :-) I'm guessing that there is an issue with this step at the moment as valeros mentions problems renaming from .zip to .mod in the OP.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi primarch,

You might be able to get it working by doing this:
    * Rename the MOD file to have a .ZIP extension.
    * Windows should open the ZIP file like a folder if you double click on it.
    * Copy the other 3 files (common.xml, definition.xml, and thumbnail.png) to the ZIP file folder.
    * Go up one directory level so the ZIP looks like a file in Windows Explorer.
    * Rename the ZIP file to have a .MOD extension.
    * Copy the MOD file to the modules directory.
    * If FG is running, exit FG.
    * Start FG and test it out.
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Yes you can - zip up the common.xml, definition.xml and thumbnail.png files into one file. Make sure you use ZIP compression not RAR or anything else. Also ensure you zip the 3 files, not the directory they are in. Then rename the .ZIP extension to .MOD.

Of course, it would be nice if the parser did this for you! :-) I'm guessing that there is an issue with this step at the moment as valeros mentions problems renaming from .zip to .mod in the OP.
    Hi!

Actually I did just that, but I erred in just adding .mod to the rename of the file, however I was just adding to the name not changing the file extension. Once I made file extensions under windows I changed it to .mod and it worked perfectly.

It's too bad you can't decompile the files made by this parser with DrZeuss decompiler (I tried, it seemed not to work) since I would use the decompiled files to substitute my original item files with these new ones an produce an updated mod file of whole books with these item files.

In any event this is a great tool and much needed. I downloaded all the items in 20 windows in under 5 minutes and the mod file actually nice broken down in convenient categories with makes one all-item book quite easy to navigate.

My humblest thanks to you sir for this magnificent tool!

Primarch

Changed executable to leave items in a folder with the module name as well as attempting to create the module file. If the .mod file is bad, use the FGPEMUtility.exe utility from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ to package the folder as a .mod file. (Be sure to select .MOD in the FGPEMUtility application because .pak is the default.)

Blog Entries
    Nice work Valeros. I will have a play with this later this weekend.

For those wanting to decompile the .mod this tool creates; I can make available the source for the decompiler if anyone wants to take on the development. I am a little maxed out with RL projects at the moment and if I am being honest am starting to wind down on 4E games (not for entirely but certainly with less frequency).

Same goes for any of the other tools I have made available over recent years; ht me up with a PM if anyone is interested.

DrZ.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information