FG Spreadshirt Swag

Weird Issue with joining game, but can host fine

Got a new computer and after reinstalling FGII, I am able to host games, but unable to join games.

I have reset my router.
    Port Forwarded 1802
    Removed the Firewall, that I hadn't been using before
    Checked windows defender and firewall.

When I check online whether my port is open it says no.
    But when I run a connection test, it reports success.

I use Verizon for a DSL connection and currently use a D-Link DIR-655 as my router.

I am stumped.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

The first order of business is to determine where the cause lies.

1) completely disable all Windows/Mcaffee/etc. firewalls. Then try it. If it works now, its a firewall issue. If that fails...
    2) leave firewalls disabled, unplug router from your modem and plug your comp directly into your modem. Restart modem and comp and try it. If it works now, it's a router issue. If that fails, then there's something on your computer (most likely a non-disabled firewall) that's restricting traffic.

Let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by Emrak; October 1st, 2012 at 04:44.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey
    I have reset my router.
    Port Forwarded 1802
    Removed the Firewall, that I hadn't been using before
    Checked windows defender and firewall.

When I check online whether my port is open it says no.
    But when I run a connection test, it reports success.
    you dont need inbound ports when onnecting as a client.
    you do need to ensure that your firewall or router is not block non standard ports though. however if you are using same router and same isp as before that is not likely to be the cause - it is more likely a firewall software issue - or even possibly an alias issue.

can you launch your local instance as host and then connect a second local instance to it?
    can you test using teh remote hosts IP address instead of the alias?

Go through damned's checklist, but it sounds like a good software firewall to me if you can host to someone on the Internet. Some of the better software firewalls stop outbound connections as well in case you catch some malware to stop them from phoning home. If this is true you will need to put FG on the white list for outbound connections. The majarity of software firewalls just stop inbound connections.
    Last edited by Griogre; October 1st, 2012 at 05:31.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you need to add FG to your white list of approved programs.

This is good - it means you have a quality firewall, even though it's a bit of a PITA in the here/now.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Just an FYI, good software firewalls treat being shut off as an attack/security breach. They freeze the current port settings so just turning off a software firewall won't necesarily unblock ports though it will probably stop port forwarding. There is a related problem that when you turn off a 3rd party non-Windows firewall, sometimes the Windows Firewall will turn itself on. If this happens, when you turn you other firewall back on you will have two software firewalls running and that is almost always a problem since you have to open ports on both of them and port forward both of them to get them to work in theory and in practice, they still might interfere with each other.

Thread Information