FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 6 of 8 First ... 45678 Last
    In my opinion using steam is the better solution for installing on mac. Though wineskin works it just takes some of the complexity.

Jim

Mac adventurers! Wine 2.0 has been officially released. Anybody brave enough to test?

Hi All!

I'm running FG via Steam on a touchbar MacBook Pro with Sierra 10.12.3 and experiencing an unpredictable windowing behavior. About half the time I launch FG, the windows are borderless, and I cannot move or resize the window with the mouse (cursor appears as an X over the edges of the window), and the options under the OSX Window menu (Close, Minimize, Zoom) while FG is running are greyed out. I can attempt to go fullscreen by right clicking within the FG app, but doing so gives mea zoomed window displaying roughly a quarter of the screen, that I also cannot resize. The other half of the time I launch FG, I see a friendly border a the top of the window, with the standard red, yellow, and green buttons, and this works wonderfully and can be re-sized and moved normally. Currently my only workaround is to keep quitting and launching FG until I get a window with a border. I did some digging and there appears to be an issue with how 'Window Decoration' is handled by Wine, but I can't figure out how to configure this for FG. Please advise and many thanks!

I figured out what it was. I had the "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" enabled in the screen options and that was causing the resize problem. Once that was unchecked it work. Look to see if there is a setting in Steam for that, there was in Wineskn.

Thank you!!! That did the trick ...

The thing that was driving my crazy, though, is that I couldn't find how to change the WineSkin preferences ... but I finally did! For the curious, here's how:

* Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fantasy Grounds
    * Right Click on the Fantasy Grounds app and "Show Package Contents”
    * There you'll see Wineskin application within, launch it, and window settings can be changed under ‘Set Screen Options’.

Excelsior!

I just ran tests side by side of Wine 1.76 and Wine 2.1 for FG built in Wineskin Winery's 2.6.1 wrapper.

There is a noticeable improvement of load times for campaigns upon launch. Normally I need to wait 20 to 30 seconds for any of the menu buttons on the right to respond, but they were instantly available in version 2.1. Everything seems to work well.

The Maximize Window issue is not fixed, however. That feature is still buggy.

I did that too. I also updated to the latest QuartzX11 and I've notice that the graphics are much crisper.

Sturtus - Would you give a quick overview on how you updated to Wine 2.1 please? My Fantasy Grounds was installed via Steam so I'm not sure if it is possible or necessary to do that update. I have attached a screen shot of my current wineskin configuration. I would really like too speed up Fantasy Grounds and your post was nice to see. Thank you!
    Last edited by daggerfortysix; February 27th, 2017 at 03:49.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

I did not purchase the app through Steam, but I have deleted Steam versions for friends and replaced with Wineskin Winery versions in order to manage their WINE installation and troubleshoot Steam issues. Here could be a course of action:

1. Copy your FG license (available in Steam).
    2. Create a backup of your FG App Data folder. (beyond the scope of these instructions)
    3. Right click on the Steam version of FG and choose to delete the local copy.
    4. Follow these instructions to create a Mac FG version using Wineskin Winery. In step 3, when required to click the "+" button to choose a Wine engine, choose the latest (version 2.2 as of this post)
    5. Right click the Fantasy Grounds.app that was created in the previous step and choose Show Package Contents.
    6. Restore your FG App Data backup in the folder "drive_c/Users/Wineskin/Application Data/".
    7. Open it up!

For further improvements, I have done:
    1. Right click the Fantasy Grounds.app that was created in the previous step and choose Show Package Contents.
    2. Open Wineskin.app
    3. Choose Set Screen Options.
    4. Choose Override Wine control of Screen Options
    5. Choose "Rootless", "Normal Windows", and "Force Normal Windows"
    5. Uncheck all of the bottom right options.
    This will make them look like Windows, not X11 or Mac windows, but honestly my fan stopped complaining since I did all of this, and it loads much more quickly.

Please somebody prove me wrong!

Thank You! I will do that today! I suspected that was what would need to be done. I appreciate you taking the time to write that.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

Thread Information