DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

A system for children

My daughter is interested in tabletop gaming and has been talking about it to our neighbors. They are 6 to 9 years of age and while I got my brothers into D&D that early I'm not sure my daughter and her friends will enjoy 3.5 and it's mechanics as much.

Any one have any ideas for a good system? I was thinking maybe basic D&D from the late 70s.

Blog Entries
    Basic D&D would probably be the easiest for first exposure.

If you're looking at FG, Castles & Crusades is very similar to AD&D.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Niven81
    My daughter is interested in tabletop gaming and has been talking about it to our neighbors. They are 6 to 9 years of age and while I got my brothers into D&D that early I'm not sure my daughter and her friends will enjoy 3.5 and it's mechanics as much.

Any one have any ideas for a good system? I was thinking maybe basic D&D from the late 70s.

mmm 6-9 is young.Would thought 70s AD&D woulda been harder that 3.5 or Pathfinder. I remeber alot about THACO and stuff

Pathfinder do a beginners box set

However for small children I suspect this might be better, but the ruleset isnt on here

In the world of Mouse Guard, mice struggle to live safely and prosper amongst harsh conditions and a host of predators. Thus the Mouse Guard was formed: more than just soldiers, they are guides for common mice looking to journey without confrontation from one village to another. They see to their duty with fearless dedication so that they may not simply exist, but truly live.

MOUSEGUARD! HOORAH!

looks ok for kids
    Last edited by Willot; September 23rd, 2012 at 01:52.

You can use the Beginner's Rules easily with the PFRPG ruleset in Fantasy Grounds. You simply ignore Combat Maneuvers, some skills, and anything else that's different. There's full details on the differences on Paizo's website.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

Basic system. Same as the Swords & Wizardry system. Basically attributes and a save and everything else is winging it on the dm's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Willot
    mmm 6-9 is young.Would thought 70s AD&D woulda been harder that 3.5 or Pathfinder. I remeber alot about THACO and stuff

Pathfinder do a beginners box set

However for small children I suspect this might be better, but the ruleset isnt on here

In the world of Mouse Guard, mice struggle to live safely and prosper amongst harsh conditions and a host of predators. Thus the Mouse Guard was formed: more than just soldiers, they are guides for common mice looking to journey without confrontation from one village to another. They see to their duty with fearless dedication so that they may not simply exist, but truly live.

MOUSEGUARD! HOORAH!

looks ok for kids

As far as kids go something like Faery's Tale would be great. I know I run a campaign with my 9 year old and she enjoys it. Easy to understand and can be found at RPGNow. (I believe the game Mermaids uses a very similar system but I have not seen that one.)

I've run Mouse Guard and Dragon Warriors for my two (9 & 6). The system in Mouse Guard was a little difficult for them, but they got it and love the setting. Castles and Crusades would be a good D&D replacement. It's pretty much basic D&D with the 3e combat system. Best of both worlds.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Numenera - a roleplaying game by Monte Cook - is looking like it could be a system just about anyone could pick up. An experience that definitely would change depending on the age-group/experience/backgrounds of all players involved.

Blog Entries
    You may also want to check out the new (free) FGII Advanced Fighting Fantasy ruleset from Cubicle7 and Arion Games, its a new incarnation of the old AFF game.

I remember playing this when I was quite young, basic rules are simple enough but the games can be expanded with greater depth.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    Was running a GURPS Lite game for my 8 and 13 year olds earlier in the summer. Loosely based in Kung Fu Panda and we kept the rules to a minimum so it had more of a cartoonish feel than an RPG might normally be.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Thread Information