STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Port 1802 Used. Help Needed.

Greetings,

I've been 7 hours now trying to get fantasy grounds to work so I can host a game. Every time I run the test it says "Failure". Here is what I have done.

- This is a new PC and I have not yet installed any Anti-virus software therefore I know this is not the issue.
    - I completely turn off Windows 8.1 Fire Wall for both Private and Public.
    - I accessed my router and confirmed/added the following..
    DMZ Hosting is Enable
    Firewall Security Level: NAT only

Port forwarding
    Start and End Port to 1802.
    Protocol TCP and UDP
    LAN IP Address 142.xxx.xxx.xxx the same as displayed in the external IP field in FG program.
    Start and End Port Remote 1802
    Remote IP Address 142.xxx.xxx.xxx the same as displayed in the external IP field in FG program.

These settings don't seem to work. Therfore I tried Hamachi and even though my friends connect to Hamachi no problem and I give them the Hamachi IP address to enter into FG to join, it still does not work.

I then installed a program called Simple Port Forwarding, ran through the process to set up 1802 however it says "port 1802 is used". There are no other applications of FG's open on my PC or any other PC on the network or in my processes.

I then brought up my CMD Prompt and typed in netstat -ao to bring up a list and look for what was using port 1802. It does not show up on the list.

And so I've exhausted everything I know how to do. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would gladly take them. Thanks to anyone who can provide any help.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonKaine View Post
    LAN IP Address 142.xxx.xxx.xxx the same as displayed in the external IP field in FG program.
    Change this to the "Internal Address" reported by Fantasy Grounds, *not* the external address. You want to tell your router to forward port 1802 internally, not externally.

Start and End Port Remote 1802
    Remote IP Address 142.xxx.xxx.xxx the same as displayed in the external IP field in FG program.
    You need to remove these 2 lines - this is restricting the remote (player) connections to just port 1802 AND for that specific IP address range - which I'm guessing they are not a part of that range.

I then installed a program called Simple Port Forwarding, ran through the process to set up 1802 however it says "port 1802 is used"
    It is probably saying that 1802 is used because it is looking to set this up as port forwarding on your router - and you still have the 1802 entry from before. Try following my advice above and remove the remote restrictions on your port forwarding and use the internal address.

ALSO!
    If you have Hamachi installed (even if you are not using it), then Fantasy Grounds may not report your external address correctly (the address you give to your players to connect) and therefore you may have issues with your players connecting without Hamachi (even if you are not actually using Hamachi - just having it installed can do this). Someone experienced this problem just recently: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post169399

Make sure to give your PCs your external Internet address as reported by your router - if this is the same as what FG reports (check to be sure) then you can use the alias feature of Fantasy Grounds as it has the correct external IP address.

Sorry for all of the edits to this post!
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 27th, 2014 at 16:33.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You need to remove these 2 lines - this is restricting the remote (player) connections to just port 1802 AND for that specific IP address range - which I'm guessing they are not a part of that range.
    Mr. Trenloe... you... are... legendary. That was the problem. I removed the remote part. I don't know you sir... but after the hell I went through trying to fix this I'm willing to have your babies.

Thanks a lot man!!

LOL! Glad you got it working.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have similar problem but do not understand how the first guys problem was solved.

I have opened port forwarding to 1802. I have set the I.P. address as is my internal IP address. And it did not work. I tried opening ports on the router at the same time and it did not work. Even turning off the firewalls did not work. I do not like hamachi its a program that for some reason ticks me off, so I am not trything that.

The original poster's issue was because when he added the port forwarding rule he entered a value in the "remote address" field, telling the router to only forward incoming traffic if it was coming from the address in the Remote Address field. The error he received in Smart Port Forwarder was because the program looked at his router (probably through UPnP) and saw that there was the existing rule for port 1802 that he'd set up, so it wouldn't configure another 1802 port forwarding rule for him.

From what you stated, you said that you opened port forwarding to 1802, and then said you "tried opening ports on the router at the same time." Where did you do the forwarding you mentioned first? You won't be forwarding any ports on your computer itself--the idea is to tell your router to forwarding incoming traffic on port 1802 to your computer's internal IP address. In a typical configuration you will only configure port forwarding in once place--your router:

- Get into your router and create a port forwarding rule for port 1802 to your computer's IP address.
    - Ensure your computer's firewall will allow this traffic once it comes in, as it won't do much good if the router passes the traffic on to your PC, but your PC blocks it.

There are other configurations that could complicate matters, and in some cases would force you to use something like Hamachi if you want to host a game. An example would be a double-NAT situation (i.e. your ISP provided you with a router that's performing NAT, and you plug your own router that is also doing NAT into theirs.
    What to do in this situation? That depends on if you are allowed to access the ISP router's settings. If so, the simplest solution would be to drop your router and just use theirs. Otherwise you'd forward port 1802 on the ISP router to whatever the WAN IP is on your personal router, then forward port 1802 traffic on your router to your PC's IP address.

In rare cases the ISP is doing some sort of NAT upstream from you. In those situations (or in situations where you don't have access to your ISP's router to configure port forwarding there) then Hamachi (or a similar VPN solution) is your only viable option.

It may be worth mentioning that you only have to do these things if you're the GM. Players should not need to forward ports, as all their connections are outbound to the GM.
    Last edited by midas; January 12th, 2016 at 05:30.

Here are the details

I am a GM. I use the ISPs router. It was my firewall Mcafee (and also windows firewall when I took down Mcafee). It seems a lot of people have trouble with Mcafee and Fantasy Grounds. I have posted on my ISPs forum website for help.

O and I did windows firewall and mcafee at the same time as well. Thanks for response .

Blog Entries
    If McAfee is acting as a Firewall - and many AV Suites do - then you will need to make a rule - either automatically or manually - to allow incoming connections to fantasygrounds.exe and/or on tcp1802 from all source addresses.

I figured it out. Worked when I did both outgoing and incoming exceptions. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information