DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Guide: How to Install FGII on OS X using WineBottler

Here is a short guide for Installing Fantasy Grounds II on OS X using the free software WineBottler. WineBottler effectively allows you to run Windows applications under Linux and OS X, as the name suggests it is built atop of Wine. It works by creating a wrapped runtime environment that mimics common Windows environments. No licenses including operating system (aside from OS X) are required. WineBottler simplifies Wine setup and allows for individual instances of installations (Bottles) to be created, enabling a great variety of Windows applications to be easily installed, operated and managed.

Note: 10.8.x OS X (Mountain Lion) no longer incorporates the X11 package after Apple decided to drop it in favour of the independent X11 project package XQuartz; Due to bugs in the current implementation of XQuartz, OSX 10.8.2 users are advised to use the alternative opensource package WineSkin to run Fantasy Grounds II. A guide can be found here.

Note: Not all applications at present will work with WineBottler (mainly .NET based applications are problematic) however Fantasy Grounds II works incredibly well.

The easiest way to get the latest WineBottler release installed onto OS X is to use either MacUpdate https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33367/winebottler or directly from the developers website https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/.

Mirror Download for WineBottler in case direct links fail:
    https://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-64545.html

Installing WineBottler 1.2.3

• Open the download WineBottlerCombo_1.2.3.dmg file to mount it
    • When the disk image window opens, drag the Wine and WineBottler apps to your Applications folder
    • Close the and unmount the disk
    • That's it, nice and simple.

Installing Fantasy Grounds II

• Launch the WineBottler.app from Applications (either from the Dock or Finder)
    • Open Safari or another Web browser and download the <a href="https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe">FGWebInstall.exe</a> from the Fantasy Grounds web site (Downloads page). Note the location of the downloaded file (on my systems its ~/Downloads)
    • In WineBottler, select Create Custom Prefixes from the left hand prefixes options in the main window
    • Click the Select File button next to the Install File at the top of the form that opens and navigate to the FGWebInstall.exe you downloaded a moment ago, click OK
    • Make sure the Copy only option (under Install path field) is NOT selected.
    • Make sure the Silent install option (at bottom of form) is NOT selected.
    • Click the Install button at the bottom of the window
    • In the Save As dialog window that appears, navigate to your Applications folder, save the file as Fantasy Grounds II.app, click Save
    • A dialog window called WineBottler Install will appear showing an install progress bar
    • A second dialog window will appear displaying the FG EULA. Click "I agree" to proceed.
    • Note: At this point you may get an error message Unable to get path. SHGetSpecialFolderPath. Don't panic. Click OK
    • A second dialog window will open entitled Settings. If prior to this window opening, you were presented with the special folder error above, simply add C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II to the App path field.
    • Enter your license/upgrade key information into the appropriate fields - this is not mandatory step as not entering any key information will result in an Unregistered install.
    • Make sure the Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac option is checked
    • If you have a registered account on the FGII forums/store, enter your user name in the User Name field and click the Update button. A small username/password window will appear. On successful verification, you should see a list of FGII products appear in the Products window.
    • Make sure the Live option is selected under Mode - this will install the latest general release of Fantasy Grounds II (currently 2.9)
    • Click OK, the FGII updater window will open and it should automatically begin downloading the latest updates. The initial setup will take a few mins as all the base rulesets and latest binaries are downloaded.
    • Once completed the familiar Fantasy Grounds II Launcher window will appear. Close the window. Do NOT start/create your campaign game or join one. This is because the install process is no quite finished yet.
    • After closing the FGII Launcher window, the WineBottler Install progress window will present a dialog window entitled Select Startfile. Select Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/FantasyGrounds.exe from the pull down selection menu.
    • Click OK. A new dialog should open stating the prefix has been created successfully. Click OK again.
    • You can now close the WineBottler app
      NOTE: If the launcher fails to appear after the updater completes, simply locate the created /Applications/Fantasy Grounds II.app file in the step below and re-open it.
    • Now if you navigate to your Applications folder and double click the Fantasy Grounds II.app thats just been created, it will open the Fantasy Grounds II Launcher window from where you can start/create your campaign game or join one.
    • FGII will be installed (by default) inside the Applications/Fantasy Grounds II.app file (right click and click Show Package Contents) in Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/, the FGII App Data folder will be created (by default) in ~/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/Fantasy Grounds II/drive_c/users/<your user name>/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds II/

Last edited by Zeus; September 24th, 2012 at 10:59.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Any updates for OS X Mountain Lion

I upgraded to Mountain Lion and I have not been able to get this to work. Have you had any experience getting this to work on Mountain Lion? It appears that X11 is no longer bundled with ML and a more up to date version of XQuartz is being used. Any suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    No, not updated to 10.8 yet, still on 10.7.4.

However all may not be lost. Apple based their older X11 app on the XQuartz open source project, therefore using XQuartz in place of X11 in Mountain Lion shouldn't be a problem as it provides an X11 framework for applications to use.

Are you getting a specific error message during Install or when you try to start up FGII?
    Last edited by Zeus; August 30th, 2012 at 20:04.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates

FGII on Mountain Lion

Tried it again trying to reproduce the error and it worked this time. I'm not sure, but I may have chosen the wrong Startfile on previous attempts. I'll test this out and report back after tomorrow's game.

Blog Entries
    No worries Isengrim, glad it appears to be working now. Please do report back any problems you get (if any) under OS X 10.8, there is quite a growing community of Mac users here on the boards who would also like to know if 10.8 presents problems before they upgrade.

Having said that, I'm planning to do an upgrade this weekend - I'll post up any issues I see (again if any).
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

i am having trouble with my install on macos with winebottler.

macos lion 10.7.4

up to this step:

'Once completed the familiar Fantasy Grounds II Launcher window will appear. Close the window. Do NOT start/create your campaign game or join one. This is because the install process is no quite finished yet.'

everything proceeds as expected.

instead of Fantasy Grounds II launching, i see an error dialog:

"Could not load ruleset root file (base.xml)"

with the option to retry reloading the data - which does not work.

any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    @amnos: Sounds like the update didn't complete properly. Can you launch the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from within the .app (right click -> Show Package Contents->/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/) and try and update again.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

Quote Originally Posted by DrZeuss
    @amnos: Sounds like the update didn't complete properly. Can you launch the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from within the .app (right click -> Show Package Contents->/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/) and try and update again.
    thanks for the fast reply!

the Fantasy Grounds II directory does not exist at that path.

$ pwd
    /Applications/Fantasy Grounds II.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files
    $ ls -a
    Common Files
    Internet Explorer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnos
    thanks for the fast reply!

the Fantasy Grounds II directory does not exist at that path.

$ pwd
    /Applications/Fantasy Grounds II.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files
    $ ls -a
    Common Files
    Internet Explorer
    That will be the problem then, looks like the installation path got scragged. Did you carry out the last step from the following sequence:

• A second dialog window will appear displaying the FG EULA. Click "I agree" to proceed.
    • Note: At this point you may get an error message Unable to get path. SHGetSpecialFolderPath. Don't panic. Click OK
    • A second dialog window will open entitled Settings. If prior to this window opening, you were presented with the special folder error above, simply add C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II to the App path field.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

* i agreed to the EULA
    * i did _not_ see any error
    * i _did_ verify that the App Path was: C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II

jjm
    Last edited by amnos; September 3rd, 2012 at 09:44.

Thread Information