FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: GM Tools

GM Tools

I am thinking of making some GM Tools such as a random weather creator, and perhaps a random name generator. Can anyone else think of some random tools that would be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardem
    I am thinking of making some GM Tools such as a random weather creator, and perhaps a random name generator. Can anyone else think of some random tools that would be beneficial.
    I think the most useful GM tool like this for me would being able to choose climate/region types, and then I could 1) see what herbs can be found there and 2) roll for a random encounter that can be found there (or even just see the creatures tables filtered for the chosen climate/region).

A secondary tool would be to roll for random treasures for a given encounter based on their treasure code.

these can be easily created using tables

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lachancery
    I think the most useful GM tool like this for me would being able to choose climate/region types, and then I could 1) see what herbs can be found there and 2) roll for a random encounter that can be found there (or even just see the creatures tables filtered for the chosen climate/region).

A secondary tool would be to roll for random treasures for a given encounter based on their treasure code.
    These would all be great additions - agree completely.

What about random NPCs - say stock examples for a 1st level Fighter for example?

It would be nice to be able to bring up a list of stock NPC adventurers to populate say an encounter with Brigands - some might be normal (Everyman in RMSS vernacular) people but the leadership ground might be made up of Warrior, Magician and Cleric types (for example).

To be fair, I've mentioned something like this before and I think it's on the list for Extend (not 100% sure).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

All of these ideas would be useful in my game. I have a few of them on my list but I don't think I will be getting to them anytime soon so I would definitely welcome anything you put together Ardem.

To be fair, I've mentioned something like this before and I think it's on the list for Extend (not 100% sure).
    JohnD, yes it is on the list. I've actually been working on it the last couple days.

Basically I am just replacing table 10-18 with NPCs that you can drag to your campaign. I had to make a few assumptions where there was some ambiguity like AT, shield type, etc. The attacks, defenses, and skills are filled in but I only list the number of spell lists and languages the NPC should have in the abilities section. Right now I am using the C&T table format to display them but I am working on creating windowclasses so that it looks more like table 10-18. Hopefully, I can make it available in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Dakadin; June 21st, 2012 at 05:20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin
    All of these ideas would be useful in my game. I have a few of them on my list but I don't think I will be getting to them anytime soon so I would definitely welcome anything you put together Ardem.

Code:
    JohnD, yes it is on the list. I've actually been working on it the last couple days.

Basically I am just replacing table 10-18 with NPCs that you can drag to your campaign. I had to make a few assumptions where there was some ambiguity like AT, shield type, etc. The attacks, defenses, and skills are filled in but I only list the number of spell lists and languages the NPC should have in the abilities section. Right now I am using the C&T table format to display them but I am working on creating windowclasses so that it looks more like table 10-18. Hopefully, I can make it available in the next few weeks.
    That's great news; thanks!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Ok thanks guys I going to start on random weather and then build from there.

Encounters are definite, I think I will avoid using RM tables so that way I can push it out to all. Also I think the RM encounter tables are a bit crappy, just my opinion.

1/ Question would you prefer seeing a dice roll for the random numbering, or would you prefer to get the information quicker by displaying on the push of a button and not having to wait for a roll to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardem
    1/ Question would you prefer seeing a dice roll for the random numbering, or would you prefer to get the information quicker by displaying on the push of a button and not having to wait for a roll to finish.
    For GM-side random stuff, I don't care to see the dice rolls, as long as there is a visual cue/result clearly calling out that the random call was made.

I'd love to see support for easily modifiable tables with filters to vary the results depending on some variables (like climate, terrain, density), which you could also use for random weather as well. I'd also love to see that integrated with the new calendar that was released in 3.5E & 4E with v2.9. I've got a hunch that Dakadin will want to bring that over to RMC as well.

Ok thanks guys I going to start on random weather and then build from there.

Encounters are definite, I think I will avoid using RM tables so that way I can push it out to all. Also I think the RM encounter tables are a bit crappy, just my opinion.

Very cool Ardem! I am looking forward to it. Random weather will definitely be a help.

I don't need to see the rolls. I am more interested in the random results. If I don't like a result then I will likely just tell it to roll again.

I'd love to see support for easily modifiable tables with filters to vary the results depending on some variables (like climate, terrain, density), which you could also use for random weather as well. I'd also love to see that integrated with the new calendar that was released in 3.5E & 4E with v2.9. I've got a hunch that Dakadin will want to bring that over to RMC as well.
    LOL. I was thinking about doing that.

Blog Entries
    The Calendar and Party Sheet are great additions to the 3.5 ruleset. If they can be brought over, would be a great addition.

- John Diefenbaker

Thread Information