STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Options for running on a Mac.

What are the options for running FG on a Mac? I remember reading something about a program called wine or something? I'm not a Mac user but one of my friends is and I am hoping to get him set up without a lot of confusion.
    Suggestions?

I'm not a Mac user; but I've heard people mention Wine, Crossover, and Parallels. I would try searching for those names on the forums.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Here's a quick brain dump of the available and tested methods for running FGII 2.8 or 2.9 on Mac OS X Lion (10.7.x).

• Wine - [OpenSource] - Wine lets you run Windows software on other operating systems including OSX and Linux. With Wine, you can install and run Windows applications just like you would in Windows.
      Easiest method for installing Wine on OSX is via MacPorts - a useful step-by-step guide for installing Wine on OSX via MacPorts can be found here.
      Latest 1.4 version supports both 2.8 and 2.9.

Guide: How to install Fantasy Grounds II on OS X using Wine
    • WineBottler - [Freeware] - WineBottler is a convenient OSX based wrapper app to the Wine environment. Simple to install but often tracks behind the latest releases of Wine.
      You can grab WineBottler from MacUpdate
      Latest 1.2.3 version supports both 2.8 and 2.9.

Guide: How to install Fantasy Grounds II on OS X using WineBottler
    • CrossOver for Mac - [Commercial] - Similar to WineBottler but backed up with commercial support offerings. Simple to install but tracks one release behind current Wine development releases.
      More information on the available software & support packages can be found here.
      Versions 10 and 11 support both FGII 2.8 and 2.9.

Guide: How to install Fantasy Grounds II on OS X using CrossOver
    • Parallels Desktop for Mac - [Commerical] - Parallels for Mac is a virtualisation package that allows you to run Windows (under virtualisation) directly through OSX. An effective method for running anything but the most graphically intensive Windows apps under OS X. Requires a valid MS Windows licence.
      More information here.
      Latest version 7 supports both 2.8 and 2.9.
    • VMware Fusion for Mac - [Commercial] - Similar to Parallels Desktop for Mac. a virtualisation package that allows you to run Windows (under virtualisation) directly through OSX. Requires a valid MS Windows licence.
      More Information here.
      Latest version 4 supports both 2.8 and 2.9.
    • Bootcamp - [Free aside from Windows License] - Bootcamp is an official Apple tool that enables you to turn your Mac into a dual boot capable system. i.e. Mac can boot into Mac OSX or a Windows based OS.Requires a valid MS Windows licence.
      More information here.
      Latest version 4 supports both 2.8 and 2.9.

Of all the options, I have found all the Wine based options (Wine, CrossOver, WineBottler) to be effective (and low cost) methods for running FGII on Mac. Pretty simple to setup and the performance during games is better IMHO than most Windows based systems. If your friend is happy to work at the command line - I'd recommend going for the naked Wine option (as its free!), however if he/she feels more comfortable with a GUI based environment go with WineBottler (again, free) unless ongoing support is preferred (in which case, CrossOver). Either way, all three options work well for FGII.

If your friend also has other Windows applications (particularly .NET based apps - which Wine solutions sometimes struggle with), the virtualisation or boot camp methods maybe better option (cost aside).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Zeus; June 23rd, 2012 at 14:00.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Moving to House of Healing forum and making sticky. Thanks again DrZ.

JPG

Blog Entries

Thanks.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully we won't have any trouble getting him up and running.

I don't mean to be a bother but could anyone jot down a quick step by step for making fg work on a mac. I see a lot of "It works with this" which is good, lets me know where to start but i have some non tech savvy players who only run macs across the country who can't seem to get it to run. I personally am a windows guy and google/forums/youtube can only help so much. We are trying to use winebottler since its free but we seem to be stuck. If anyone can offer an assist it would be much appreciated.

-thanks zabba

I finally helped get a few of my players working on their Macs...It is indeed frustrating as a Windows person to help someone on a Mac. Thank goodness I had a Mac Saavy person to help me. If I had a Mac I would make a tutorial for it.

Visit my YouTube channel for tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/user/khersheyjr?feature=guide

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zabbadeuce
    I don't mean to be a bother but could anyone jot down a quick step by step for making fg work on a mac. I see a lot of "It works with this" which is good, lets me know where to start but i have some non tech savvy players who only run macs across the country who can't seem to get it to run. I personally am a windows guy and google/forums/youtube can only help so much. We are trying to use winebottler since its free but we seem to be stuck. If anyone can offer an assist it would be much appreciated.

-thanks zabba
    OK. I have started writing some guides. I have stickied some step-by-step instructions for Wine. I'll also add one for WineBottler and CrossOver. I'll do some of the VM variants later this week assuming I can find an available Windows license.

Last edited by Zeus; June 23rd, 2012 at 14:02.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thanks a bunch. This will help those players using systems other than windows in getting up and running

Visit my YouTube channel for tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/user/khersheyjr?feature=guide

Blog Entries
    Thanks again DrZeuss. I've added links to these directly within the FAQ now.

Thread Information