FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK
    I always scratch my head when I see someone complaining about how a game got bogged down by expanding its rules. You always have the option to NOT expand your game by simply not buying more then the base released books. Of course a lot of people do and then complain about it being bogged down.... just saying.

I'd definitely second wanting to be able to buy PDFs for old stuff. That's just free money for them at this point.

BK
    Good advice.

The challenge for the DM is trying to accommodate player interests without taking away from your own enjoyment of the game. That is where the conflict ultimately was for me - I had a player who wanted to play a revenant battlemind. Just getting through one round of combat became very tedious. I have chosen to not expand my game by playing AD&D instead.
    Last edited by leozelig; June 23rd, 2012 at 16:35.

Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK
    I always scratch my head when I see someone complaining about how a game got bogged down by expanding its rules. You always have the option to NOT expand your game by simply not buying more then the base released books. Of course a lot of people do and then complain about it being bogged down.... just saying.

I'd definitely second wanting to be able to buy PDFs for old stuff. That's just free money for them at this point.

BK
    I think it's pretty obvious, at least it is to me. You design a ruleset you put it all in a nice book, then once everyone has bought that book you print more books that break the rules, so that characters can be more "unique." Sure you can ignore these books which I've always tried to do in games i've ran, but some players always have to have new uber class or whatever.

I'm sure it happened before this but I remember it when they came out with AD&D
    2nd Edition Players option books. You could divide your ability scores, and increase the more useful one at the expense of the less useful one so your character would be more interesting and unique. You could build your own class picking and choosing the best parts of different classes. I thought it was kind of like cheating.
    I'll cast magic missle at the darkness!

I've just recently moved from D&D franchise to GURPS and Savage Worlds. I was a fan of D&D and did play 4E since it came out until just recently.

Considering GURPS and Savage Worlds, for me it's important that they offer much more flexible and robust character creation compared to restricting you to classes and levels. I know that many people like the D&D style of play, but this is just not for me anymore.

I'm not saying it's the only way to go, it's just my way from now on and wanted to share my thoughts

P.S. I've played AD&D 2nd ed, and played and ran D&D 3rd, 3.5 and 4E.
    Also, GURPS 4th edition came out in 2004 and all the material from the previous editions are still compatible with it. Tells you the difference compared to D&D franchise.
    Last edited by XpressO; July 2nd, 2012 at 15:50.
    Ultimate License Holder - hanging out at the Fantasy Grounds Official Discord Server going by the name Wathagan.

Thread Information