FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    I agree about the extensibility being limited, and requiring a lot of cut and paste.

If I end up doing a layered ruleset approach, I think it would make sense to enhance the classes to allow a merge model like controls use. It would greatly simplify situations where classes are very similar, and improve extensibility.

Plus, I think it would make extensions less fragile, since they are only replacing one bit, instead of redefining classes.

Cheers,
    JPG

Was any thought ever given to moving the rulesets into github or some other open source management repository? Seems like that would be an ideal way to leverage the community without relinquishing control.

I would also love to see some of the proprietary content (e.g., modules from WotC) moved into a private github with fairly limited access. I would love to be able to fix a problem in a module and just submit a pull request to the owner. I do understand why WotC and SW don't want the modules potentially getting out there unprotected, so this group would probably have to have some tight controls and legal restrictions, but it could be awesome.

I was mainly thinking of the rulesets that are bundled with FG itself (CoreRPG, 3.5/PF, SW, etc.).

For wholly community-generated rulesets, it would be up to their author(s) whether they would be open to moving to this model.

I would imagine the 5E content is under much tighter restrictions, since it is licensed by WotC and not open IP. Moving that to Open Source is probably a non-starter.

To my knowledge, the 5e ruleset is not part of the WotC license and open to the community for modification (extensions). The data modules that hold WotC copyright content are locked.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjeb View Post
    I would also love to see some of the proprietary content (e.g., modules from WotC) moved into a private github with fairly limited access. I would love to be able to fix a problem in a module and just submit a pull request to the owner. I do understand why WotC and SW don't want the modules potentially getting out there unprotected, so this group would probably have to have some tight controls and legal restrictions, but it could be awesome.
    I do host all my code (Savage Worlds and associated addons) in BitBucket (free, private hosting) and currently allow one other developer full access, as he has been more prolific than I've had the capacity to be, so it's easier to take pull requests from him and get all the review tools provided.

That said, any developer could submit change requests as .patch files for easy merging (which was what Linus developed Git to do in the first place !) without needing actual access to the Git repository. Heck, I'll even accept people just sending whole files over and I'll merge / figure out the changes myself (although patch files would be better if you know how to generate them with Git).
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Thread Information