STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 14 First ... 23456 ... Last

Thread: FRP Extension

Are tables copyrightable??

A group of numbers in sequence I believe can not be copyrighted, the words that go with those number can. Basicly you can provide a table of numbers but you cannot provide a legend around it.

I have to brush up on my copyright law but I am pretty sure that is correct. This is a link but it is hard to know exactly

https://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html

No Separate Protection for Underlying Data:

Although databases may be protected as compilations under U.S. copyright law, the underlying data is not automatically granted protection. The Copyright Act specifically states that the copyright in a compilation extends only to the compilation itself, and not to the underlying materials or data. 17 U.S.C. § 103(b). As a result, compilation copyrights cannot be used to extend copyright protection to ideas or facts that are otherwise unprotectable (it is a basic premise of copyright law that there is no copyright protection for ideas and basic facts, as is explained in the BitLaw section on unprotected works).

Thus, a database of unprotectable works (such as basic facts) is protected only as a compilation. Since the underlying data is not protected, U.S. copyright law does not prevent the extraction of unprotected data from an otherwise protectable database. In the example of a database of presidential quotations, it would therefore not be a violation of copyright law to extract (copy) a quotation from George Washington from the database. On the other hand, it would be violation to copy the entire database, as long as the database met the Feist originality and creativity requirements.

I always like to play it safe but don't worry. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to create the db.xml for the library. At worst, I figure I can distribute the spreadsheet so people can enter the information in. Then they would just have to run the macro to generate the library. I would just have to clean it up first since it isn't very intuitive at this point.

Blog Entries

Skin.

With all this talk about extensions for RM... has anyone built a working Graphics Skin for this ruleset? The built in graphics stink.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot
    With all this talk about extensions for RM... has anyone built a working Graphics Skin for this ruleset? The built in graphics stink.
    I agree, they are about as drab as one could get. I understand there may be some copyright issues with images but even a little more color would be nice.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard
    I agree, they are about as drab as one could get. I understand there may be some copyright issues with images but even a little more color would be nice.
    Skin "Extensions" to change icons, desktop, etc. does not infringe on any copyright, unless the person releasing the skin is using other people's images, fonts, etc.

Personally, I do not have the graphical/layout talent to overall it.

FRP will have its own skin well 90% perhaps. At the moment I have just changed about 20%. Mainly the part I hated. But not seen anyone do other skins

Blog Entries

Skin Extension.

Can you separate out the 'Skin' part of your extension to stand alone maybe?
    Hated is a good word for it... ugh.

Should be able to once it is complete.

Auto total rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin
    That great, Trenloe! Those were all things that I was planning to get to eventually.

I am constantly changing chat_chat.lua for Extend RMC. I am definitely willing to work with you to get #5 working. If you haven't started coding it then I can add it to my list. But if you have, then let me know how I can help and I will do what I can.

I agree with Ardem that we should work together to get these things working.
    No worries at all - I agree we should be pooling work on all of this.

Once I get my short term move to the US sorted out I'll get back on things and let you know things in more depth.

For the auto total rolls, it's 2 changes - 1 to preferences.lua and one to chat_chat.lua.

preferences.lua:
    Code:
    -- eXpanded Functionality extension - adds option to auto total rolls		
       PreferenceManager.register({name=DiceTotalPref, group="General Options", label="Auto total dice rolls:", helptext="Automatically total dice rolls", datatype="string", defvalue=Yes, control="YesNoPref"});							  
    -- End of change.
    chat_chat.lua:
    Code:
    function deliverDiceMessage(text,dielist,modifier,reveal)
      local msg = {font="systemfont"};
      if type(reveal)=="nil" then
        -- use standard rules
        if User.isHost() then
          if ChatManager.getDieRevealFlag() or Input.isControlPressed() then
            reveal = true;
          end
        end
      end
      if reveal then
        msg.dicesecret = false;
      end
      if User.isHost() then
        msg.sender = GmIdentityManager.getCurrent();
      else
        msg.sender = User.getIdentityLabel();
      end
      -- set the message parameters
      msg.text = text;
      msg.dice = dielist;
      msg.diemodifier = modifier;
      -- XF extension addition - Display dice total based on preference.
      if  PreferenceManager.load(Preferences.DiceTotalPref) == Preferences.Yes then
    	msg.dicedisplay = 1;
      end
      -- done
      deliverMessage(msg);
    end
    This gives an entry in options to turn totals on or off and then changes the message dicedisplay value to 1 if this is set - showing the roll total as part of the dice roll message.

Extension startup message to chat window

I've also found it quite handy to add a startup message to the chat window (so you know which extensions are loaded - and which versions) when you start. Good for us checking what version we're running and also good for other's reporting issues!

It's pretty simple code, create a new .lua file (I usually call it "manager_extension.lua"), put the following onInit function in the file and call this file in the scripts section of your extension.

Code:
    function onInit()
    	--Send extension startup text
    	RMCConstants.CopyrightText[#RMCConstants.CopyrightText+1]="*** Put your startup text here! ***";
    end
    Using #RMCConstants.CopyrightText+1 will add this to any existing copyright text and so allow multiple extensions to all add their own startup text to the chat window.

Thread Information