FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Ruleset Monsters & Treasure

Are the contents of the FG2 Monsters & Treausure manual identical to the printed manual? I have the PHB in print, but I don't have the M&T manual.

Just curious because there are a lot of monsters that I seem to be adding (giant beetles, giant centipedes, etc.)

Blog Entries
    the fg ruleset is not meant to replace the paper copies as full reference sets - they do only contain bare information. i just picked up 2 diff editions of the m&t and neither contain giant animals of any kind... a new monster manual is in the wings and it will contain all monsters from the d20srd but that will still need to be converted to fg format. i think you will need to continue adding a few of your own... you can save a little time by dragging a similar creature into a blank spot and it will duplicate it and then you can update/rename etc.

Thanks

Thanks, when I bought I was under the impression that all the contents (without much formatting) would be available. It's OK, not a problem, I'll buy the M&T manual I can afford it

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    the fg ruleset is not meant to replace the paper copies as full reference sets - they do only contain bare information. i just picked up 2 diff editions of the m&t and neither contain giant animals of any kind... a new monster manual is in the wings and it will contain all monsters from the d20srd but that will still need to be converted to fg format. i think you will need to continue adding a few of your own... you can save a little time by dragging a similar creature into a blank spot and it will duplicate it and then you can update/rename etc.
    Are the monsters converted from 3.0/3.5 (i.e. the d20 SRD)?

Blog Entries
    Giant Centipedes etc are still NOT in the M&T... For licensing reasons (I think) the rulesets do not contain full contents because the original publishers still need to sell you the full books to make their $$

I think the new monster manual will be called Classic Monsters (link) and contains monsters from MM, MMII and FF from the AD&D1E books...

I think the new monster manual will be called Classic Monsters (link) and contains monsters from MM, MMII and FF from the AD&D1E books...
    AHhhh!!! I can't believe I didn't know that this new rulebook was under development! I can't tell from the Kickstarter link whether or not the book will be available for the public, or only to people who ordered via kickstarter. I'd kill almost anything detailed in that book for a copy of the book. I hope there is a PDF version in the works, and even better yet, a FG module version... but with Sorcerer gone, I assume there's nothing planned on that front.

Team FG: if the parsing required on the source PDF isn't too painful (meaning, I wouldn't want to commit to something that I couldn't come through on), I might be willing to take a bullet for the team and build y'all a sellable module of it... although I'd much prefer to just be able to buy it myself!
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

I'm all for supporting TLG...but if they could provide it to those who have already purchased the C&C set here on FG2, then that would be cool...or better yet...as a downloadable add-on for say...$3 or something.

I'm still planning on getting the new book, and I may do it in PDF(if avail) for the simplicity of copying and pasting data into my own FG2 monster module (a module I have built of additional monsters).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    AHhhh!!! I can't believe I didn't know that this new rulebook was under development! I can't tell from the Kickstarter link whether or not the book will be available for the public, or only to people who ordered via kickstarter. I'd kill almost anything detailed in that book for a copy of the book. I hope there is a PDF version in the works, and even better yet, a FG module version... but with Sorcerer gone, I assume there's nothing planned on that front.
    i usually post specials and things from the Trolls website but for some reason i didnt post this one... i did however buy the $100 version and am looking forward to it. im sure they will release it in pdf. the $100 pack also comes with CK, PHB and MT in choice of PDF, Kindle or Nook formats so im sure they will do at the least a PDF of the CM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    Team FG: if the parsing required on the source PDF isn't too painful (meaning, I wouldn't want to commit to something that I couldn't come through on), I might be willing to take a bullet for the team and build y'all a sellable module of it... although I'd much prefer to just be able to buy it myself!
    i *think* the parser really only works when taking from html or xml tags where you can search for specific strings to know where to start and finish from. im sure trenloe will be able to add more info to this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Urieal
    I'm all for supporting TLG...but if they could provide it to those who have already purchased the C&C set here on FG2, then that would be cool...or better yet...as a downloadable add-on for say...$3 or something.

I'm still planning on getting the new book, and I may do it in PDF(if avail) for the simplicity of copying and pasting data into my own FG2 monster module (a module I have built of additional monsters).
    i think you are being a little too hopeful. the cheapest bundles ive ever seen for the three base c&c books being ckg, m&t and phb is $50 and that is usually for the PDF versions. the $10 license here is really intended for people who already own the source books so it is the extra - not the other way around.

my experience is that the pdf versions are the same price as the printed versions from troll lords.

i *think* the parser really only works when taking from html or xml tags where you can search for specific strings to know where to start and finish from. im sure trenloe will be able to add more info to this.
    That's probably true - I assumed I'd be writing my own parser. I did it for the OGL d20 spells for that C&C module I did (it really helps in converting the old AD&D modules to C&C). It was a big PITA as there was a lot of inconsistencies in the source text. Still... my desire to use many old school monsters is great (but not all - I thought Fiend Folio was a train wreck when it first came out, and I don't believe it has aged well...). If the chore of writing a parser wasn't *too* onerous, I might just volunteer to put it in a polished module for the masses. I helped Sorcerer a little bit with what would have been an update to the Arms & Armor Guide to facilitate inventory changes he was working on, and I think it's something I could pull off... if nobody else is going to do it.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Thread Information