FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Thread: Rm Aar

Rm Aar

I thought I give my experiences on using FGII and Virtual tabletop.

Background:
    This is from the perspective of a GM new to virtual tabletop and FG II, as well as most players new to this form as well.

I discovered FG about a month ago after much research and looking at different systems FG seemed to give a nice visual appeal I was after, this was to compensated the fact we were not face to face, so the system had to make up for it in that respect. RMC being included was a huge bonus.

The fact RMC was different and all my modules and experience was in RM FRP, I set forth to make a FRP extension and library book. I can say I have successfully done about 60% of where I want to be at but it is definitely playable. Someone like myself with a background in IT and small amount of programming knowledge and patience was able to modify the aspects of the extension.

Night 1 - Character creation

The setup:
    Boy, How I wished to have done this differently. All players assembled on time, I hard spent the day testing FG2 connection external (again IT knowledge and a health supply of external computers). I glad I did. Even though I set up the port forwarding correctly it did not work, I ummed and arred for a while thinking my router was not porting the port when I remembered that my Windows 7 firewall was on and need to add the program to the allowable programs (I had disabled request firewall access feature a long time ago)
    The test feature in FG2 worked flawlessly but I still didn't trust it so I tested an external connection with a copy elsewhere (glad I purchased those extra lite licences) Bingo! in and working.

It was now 3.00pm and they were not due to arrive till 8.30, I sent an email and sms to confirm it was still on (good to get people to turn up on time )
    I had one member turn up at 7.00pm on skype and I used him as a guinea pig to test how I was going to do the training.

Training:
    Yes this was not different then a software training session I conducted in the past, you need the same level of patience and a vocab to say the same thing 4 different ways.

Only 2 of the players had RM experience and it was forever gone from their memory. One had FG2 experience but not RMC and one just got back from a 8 hour drive from Dubbo (Dubbo to Sydney feel free to look it up on a map) so was a mental write off.

And this is where I wished I done it differently. Each person had a different skill level and learning ratio, even though I was trying to keep the group together it was getting messy. I think character creation and FG2 learning should of been done individually throughout the previous week to spend that quality one on one time. There was too much for the players to absorb and I would say that more of the fault of RM then of FG2. They understood the FG feature pretty quick but there was a few non intuitive things for the players.

* The skill middle mouse roller was a problem. (I am going to kill that next chance I get)
    * The skill scroller was in the wrong spot and overlapped a skill.
    * The mouse right click select a number of die to roll, one player had trouble until a AHHHH! moment

On Rolemaster:

What I should of done with the players instead of going through the character creation one at a time like the book. I should of worked backwards. The idea would of been to get people to look at the skills they want to develop and then get them to jot down some notes around the prime stats for those skills.

This would of allowed when starting the character creation a much better end goal to aim for. It perhaps would of made those new to rolemaster get a little more understanding of there ideal character. Doing it one stage at a time I was asked many times why do we need to do this step or what is it useful. Also prime stats although clear to me some can be confusing what are they for what do they do. The real answer are the skills section rather then the individual stats.

Combat tracker
    We got characters to 90% there and let the guys view the combat tracker, just a minor introduction. It was pobably the most excitement I heard from the players in the night as I allowed them to hit each other in mock duels, also it was a little less formal, as it was now 1am in the morning.

The players got a little bit of an understanding and also got them to put in the "/die 2d10+Qu Bonus Initiative" and make a hotkey. Although some people like myself originally assumed you could put Qu and it will get the stat unfortunately not, need to put in the actual number.

The dragging the person name of who you wanted to attack was difficult to explain no matter how much I explained to grab the text not the image, it was a struggle, but eventually everyone got it. A few hits and a few criticals all was good except the effects were not showing up I did a restart and tested and it was all fine.

FG Software Issues:
    It was more stable then I expected we had two major crashes not due to the software, due to my wife downloading a virus and flooding the internet. And the second time after I explain to her not to plug it in for her to plug it in again because she felt her housewives of Florida/Beverly hills or Cleveland what ever it was more important.

One of our player had two or three legitimate crashes for no reason, but was able to reconnect quite quickly.

The one issue was the wait time on character, player being impatient saying I lost my character as the icon had not come up in 1 minute was a issue. Perhaps FG could of loaded characters first in the update and display but make them greyed out. Atleast the player knows he is waiting for something, perhaps even a loading bar.

Other then that it was a good start and looking forward to the first adventure. Happy to answer any question you may have with this commentary.
    Last edited by Ardem; December 7th, 2011 at 08:42.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardem
    I think character creation and FG2 learning should of been done individually throughout the previous week to spend that quality one on one time. There was too much for the players to absorb and I would say that more of the fault of RM then of FG2. They understood the FG feature pretty quick but there was a few non intuitive things for the players.
    That is pretty much how I did the games I have run before. Basically, we did most of the leg work via PM and chat to flesh out campaign background stuff and general character concepts. Then, as time allowed, I connected with them one at a time to finish up the character sheets, answer questions and walked through dice rolling from the character sheets.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

First RPG night.

Well guys we got together after a week or two sorting out some character development things and started the first part of the campaign.

I thought I would use the Axe Bridge module to start this (I will not add any spoilers here so do not worry), even though it says 2-4 levels I still feel this is doable with level 1 characters and have tweaked any NPC that are too powerful.

I spent a week beforehand going through the module piece by piece, seeing how it all tied together, so I felt full prepared, also I ran my head through the FRP book and update my RM knowledge. I felt very familiar with FG by now (how many people grab FG and decide to make library modules and tweak the background code in the first month, it is a great way to understand all aspects of the engine).

Prepared does not always mean smooth.
    I did my usual of sending an email to the players and SMS those that I have numbers for to let them know 8.30 and still on. Unfortunately those late where my kin even though I specified the time and gave them the hurry up. 9.00pm we started

GM Rule 1 - When dealing with family accept they will try and take advantage of you.

It always interesting with a group that have not role-played together before or a GM like myself that is a bit rusty. I started off with a little background and a little about the campaign setting, I did not want to devle into it too much because a) it was not needed and b) I had not fleshed it out 100% so you always get questions you cannot answer.

I had them start knowing each other and facing each other in a tavern, and with a bit of prompting then to see what would happen. <silence>

GM Rule 2 - Silence as a GM does not 'feel your friend, it feels your enemy'. But you need to accept it on occasion

When sitting in a group facing each other I could raise my eyebrows or give visual clues that as a GM I want their interaction, in a non visual setting this is one of the arrrgh what do I do now moments

I let it sit there for a bit and then a brave player piped forward, players were feeling there way in this as much as I was. I then assigned a player to have a mother and they were staying at her tavern to request a package to be deliver to axebridge and this was my adventure hook for the adventure module. It was a good tie in, I felt and did give it a bit of fluidity, how could anyone refuse their mother.

However the group did make fun and play with this concept a few laughs,

No 1) I am very bad with accents and impressions
    No 2) How will players respond will they view other players comments as juvenile as they want something more serious or take things lighthearted

So this is the first test of the playing group will it work or will a person who does not really know the other players roll eyes and think I joined the wrong group.

GM Rule 3/ Stop worry about everything you got enough to worry about

They move on into the adventure and the scene is set, however coordination is so much harder in Virtual Roleplaying (VRP) again the visual clues are not there so you can look at someone and grab there attention, you need to say there name wait till they respond then go into your brief. You get used to this but occasionally a player is AFK not really listening, and you just need to move on and not get bogged down.

To the point where one player was AFK for 5-10 minutes, I just plowed on through with the other characters, of course it wasn't a critical combat moment, but you have too otherwise you lose momentum.

GM Rule 4/ Players which disappear let them catch up by getting other player to explain it give you time to organise other stuff and you don't accidently give any further advice.

Rolemaster and mathematics, fortunately I am pretty fast with the maths, I learn long ago in Rolemaster with 'statics' you don't need to know the exact number it failed you can work out in the 'tens' if they are even close to a success. If they succeed that when you need to work out the 'ones', on how much by.

There was a lot of static manoeuvres in the lead up to a adventure, and the axebridge quick rules for certain events helped as well. This I believe kept the game flowing however I constantly would get stuck trying to reopen the FRP page for static manoeuvres success or fails.

Yes RMC has the table in the library but when you got two monitors full one more table seems a bit hard. I need to work out a better system here.

Axebridge
    A good scenario but some times the details are hard to find. The adventure is made for a linear execution and you know how players love to screw that up. Some important notes are written, in areas which they have done or yet to do. This is where a NPC note index could be improved. A series of links from the NPC to certain sections where they pop up would of proved invaluable. Time is the essence in VRPG and needing to find the information is paramount when dealing with a quantity of information that Axebridge has. So module makers please use the idea of linking information to NPC e.g. NPC first meeting, NPC second meeting, NPC found here.

What players live for

Finally the players get to the stage for the first combat, unfortunately it is about 12pm but I not heard a player pipe up they need to go to bed, so I press on thinking we can get one combat piece in.

Some guys had a little idea from last week some had forgotten even to the point at looking at the Combat tracker not their character sheet.

I learnt some interest thing here, if people put numbers into parry for DB even directed spells are affected, so you need to watch the bonuses here carefully. Also training the character to know their modifiers is a must, they need to plug these in before they roll, you can get them to go through what they put in but it save you valuable time and makes them think during other peoples round.

GM Rule 5/ Don't always believe FMG knows best check what it is doing

On the note above, I realised something almost last minute I had bumped up the NPC/creature parry and the person rolled small, but the parry defence brought it down to a Fumble. It wasn't of course so I need to relook at Rule 5 above and fortunately I realised my mistake before the player rolled for a fumble.

I need to train the guys a little more or throw it back to them what they need to do otherwise you doing to much load. Don't worry too much you can adjust the roles in you resolver if you miss something or they have missed something.

A back and forward button on player turn would be nice (for delayed actions), as cycling increases the round and drag and drop is a pain.

1am they win

As a GM I did stuff up in some my combat rounds the NPC/creature does not use some of it valuable tricks and when I go to it is too late.

I do not know how the players felt it went and would love some feedback which I will ask, was it too fast, too slow. Too disjointed how could I improve.

For my first time I thought I did ok
    Last edited by Ardem; December 19th, 2011 at 09:33.

First RPG night.
    Axebridge
    A good scenario but some times the details are hard to find. The adventure is made for a linear execution and you know how players love to screw that up. Some important notes are written, in areas which they have done or yet to do. This is where a NPC note index could be improved. A series of links from the NPC to certain sections where they pop up would of proved invaluable. Time is the essence in VRPG and needing to find the information is paramount when dealing with a quantity of information that Axebridge has. So module makers please use the idea of linking information to NPC e.g. NPC first meeting, NPC second meeting, NPC found here.
    Thanks for the feedback .

I hope you enjoy the rest of the adventure.

Cheers
    Chris

2nd RPG night

Well the 2nd RPG night was set up with a weeks notice and everyone agreeing to that date. I did not send up my normal followup of a Friday email and one Sunday morning.

Hey we all commited responsible adults. Well I guess not.

One player with my standard 2 hour sms to my brothers was followed up with a sorry I am at a friends place and won't be home NPC me.

GM Rule 6/ Outline to your players beforehand that it is common respect to leave as much notice as possible before they tell you that they cannot make it.

Why am I making a big deal out of it, he can't make it the night can go on. That is find but as a GM who like to be prepared and prep things. I got to quickly figure out how am I going to NPC a player in Fantasy Grounds.

NPCing a regular player
    Not as easy as it seems, the reasons are varied. The first being you are not as familar to the character sheet as a player, or if he is a caster to the multitude of spells at his disposal. There is also the addage as GM you know a lot more then the player, and thirdly any risk to the player in combat is at your fault.

One of the member suggested a player should NPC, but I stubbornly said it is ok I will do it. I think this was a mistake and would love to know what other GMs do in this area.

I have two monitors with FG sread acoss both screens, I mention this as any GM knows screen realestate is at a premium. tables/storylines/maps/combat screen etc cover it. Running an NPC in FG as another FG cannot be always displayed and you need to alt tab, since both FGs look the same it can get very confusing.

I tended to work as much as possible in the GM side including rolls. It was another complexity I could of done without for the night. Perhaps next time I think I will give it to another player to NPC.

Module v your own adventure
    My normal regime is to go through things two hours before, but due to various issue including a earlier start time. I did not have this prep time. As described above I am using the axebridge adventure. So simple details like the Vicitm's mother, does not instantly spring to mind.
    So when one of my player gets it corrrect faster then I can look it up, only for me to not find it in the mirade of notes and then say it wrong anyway. But the GM is never wrong so her name is permantly etched (Chris all minor characters in the people listing could of been helpful)

This is where module playing can be a little bit on your toes, when you get question like. Where is her husband? Your first reaction is to say "How the hell do I know?" You need to supress it fast. (I do not recall reading there was a husband, or if he was he not a main character, what if he pops up in other notes) ARRRggghhhh!

When you make the adventure or working off the fly the story is created as you go alon or you already know unwittingly the minor details. Yup she is a widow, I know cause I created her, or in the process of creating this person history as I speak.

Modules get risky around this, another example is an item which is apart of the main plot. I forogt such an item, mainly due to the all over nature of the adventure and players not running it as a linear fashion, perhaps that a GM issue with lack of hand holding in the direction I want. I forgot such a main plot item and when it was needed. Whoops, oh well I will change the storyline. I used to play a lot of shadowrun modules and learnt modules are guides not set in stone. If you make a mistake, change the module, try not to back up. I done that in the past and it confuser the player more then you.

GM Rule 7/ Adapt not only to the player mistake but your own mistake, keep the flow going.

Rolemaster is deadly
    All games have this player, a player that plays a character that in combat situation is tacticaly wrong. In some games I find D&D style tends to be forgiven role master is not what I call forgiving.

A thief that plays like a warrior, a warrior that tries to play as a thief. In rolemaster if these players don't learn quickly they will find themselves dead. As a GM there is always that line, do you make the challenge and let chips fall as they may, or do you bring them to the edge but keep them alive barely.

I had a foot in both camps that night, this player survived just only to follow up the next attack leading the group again and getting another painful lesson. I don't think this player will survive next rpg session.

The guys were much better at checking out there Offensive Bonuses, and also there activity percentages. But we still have a long way to go where I am not doing the majority of this thinking around this.

FG strangeness
    This week FG strangeness once again was in combat. A missile attack had a -40 DB, and I could not locate this -40 DB anywhere. I will need to look into this.

GM Rule 6/ Outline to your players beforehand that it is common respect to leave as much notice as possible before they tell you that they cannot make it.
    Attendance has always been the bane of RPG (especially over VTT). In my experience, the cause is usually a toss between life commitments and self-discipline/respect. This issue is lesser a bit on a regular weekly game, but if the sessions are further apart or irregular, sending a reminder email helps in either getting earlier cancellation notices and getting players to remember to adjust their schedule. Sadly, it's human nature...

NPCing a regular player
    It was another complexity I could of done without for the night. Perhaps next time I think I will give it to another player to NPC.
    I have handled/seen it done both ways. Ultimately, smooth flow/pacing and immersion is what creates the best games. The GM bears the brunt of the responsibility to ensure both, and has to manage tactical logistics, such as the combat tracker. Games where the players managed the absent characters were better, overall, because of the improved focus of the GM.

That said, managing multiple characters requires a player comfortable with. When running multiple FGs, the easiest cue to track which one you're on is the dice color. If you're managing players while being GM, pick & stick to a dice color that screams GM to you (blood red in my case ).

Rolemaster is deadly
    I educate and fudge as needed. Part of the fun of Rolemaster is learning the tactical options available. When some players are new to RM, I sometimes briefly interrupt the combat flow to teach options. Rolls for criticals in RM can have a huge impact on the outcome. Since the GM rolls are hidden, it's easy to shift the results. Whether you let a roll that would kill a player outright or not, depends on the nature of the game and the players. Like you, I have fudged rolls to support the game, rather than enforce rolls regardless of the impact on the game.

This week FG strangeness once again was in combat. A missile attack had a -40 DB, and I could not locate this -40 DB anywhere. I will need to look into this.
    When you refer to DB, I'm assuming you mean the defender's parry? If that's the case, parrying DB in RM is only against a single target. Confirm the target is set in the combat tracker beside the shield/parry line. Attacks from others will (per the rules) not use parry DB. If there is no target, either drag the name of the attacker or have the player click the token on the map - it automatically sets all weapons and parry to that target.

On DB this was done as specificed above. There was nothing in the parry section of the target yet there was a -40 DB in the combat resolver, and not sure where it came from. I had to unclick it each time.

On DB this was done as specificed above. There was nothing in the parry section of the target yet there was a -40 DB in the combat resolver, and not sure where it came from. I had to unclick it each time.
    Aaah! I thought it was the reverse. I noticed something similar when using monsters the Creatures & Treasures book. In my case, it was simple orcs who had a DB 30 value in the book, but that was meant to include the shield, so when it defended against an enemy, it had the shield effect twice - once for the parry, and once in the base DB.

I'll run some tests to see if I can reproduce this behavior.

Found it and it was correct, the players had an easier time of it then I should of let them.

It was the creatures natural DB and higher for a specific reason 'not adding spoilers'. I sometime forget DB is not just about hitting the target, it also modifies damage.

NPCing a regular player
    I have two monitors with FG sread acoss both screens, I mention this as any GM knows screen realestate is at a premium. tables/storylines/maps/combat screen etc cover it. Running an NPC in FG as another FG cannot be always displayed and you need to alt tab, since both FGs look the same it can get very confusing.

I tended to work as much as possible in the GM side including rolls. It was another complexity I could of done without for the night. Perhaps next time I think I will give it to another player to NPC.
    I do the exact same thing--I have a 42" and 32" side by side, and I found that what works best is to always leave a gap in my GM instance about 2" from the leftmost part of my left monitor and to leave 2" from the rightmost part of my right monitor for my player instance. That way, I always know that GM instance is on the right (there are are more selectable fields on the GM instance and they are visible this way even when you're using your player instance), and the Player instance is always to the left.

Rolemaster is deadly
    All games have this player, a player that plays a character that in combat situation is tacticaly wrong. In some games I find D&D style tends to be forgiven role master is not what I call forgiving.

A thief that plays like a warrior, a warrior that tries to play as a thief. In rolemaster if these players don't learn quickly they will find themselves dead. As a GM there is always that line, do you make the challenge and let chips fall as they may, or do you bring them to the edge but keep them alive barely.

I had a foot in both camps that night, this player survived just only to follow up the next attack leading the group again and getting another painful lesson. I don't think this player will survive next rpg session.

The guys were much better at checking out there Offensive Bonuses, and also there activity percentages. But we still have a long way to go where I am not doing the majority of this thinking around this.
    I reveal all rolls, always. I want my players to know that GM tyranny and intervention will always be minimal, which they like because they realize how much depends on them and that I won't fudge rolls one way or another. In any case, though, you're right, RM is deadly sometimes even if your players do EVERYTHING right. I have a player who has a bad reputation for getting hit with an OER when he's full parrying and maximized his defensive advantages as part of a wider tactical plan. That said, here's a solution you could consider--it essentially allows your players to determine when you have to reroll a roll. That way the GM doesn't ever have to wonder if he's intervening too much. What you do need to decide on though is how often they can invoke this player power over their PCs:

Give them a pool of say 10 Karma/Fate Points, or 1 every time they advance 1-3 levels depending on your sense/preference as a GM. What this works out to is the ability of a player to say "Whoa, that crit is going to destroy my character! Screw that, I'm going to use a Fate Point and have you reroll that". I allow my players to use it whenever they want, except to reroll attack rolls or criticals they inflict (or attack rolls against them, crits notwithstanding). The beauty of this system is that you get to keep all your rolls and they're the ones buying your intervention on behalf of their character. And if they use them too quickly or stupidly: they pay the price by increasing the chances that they may not have one when they need one. On that note, you'd be shocked how many times my players will take a crit that I feel terrible about dishing out (like a shattered elbow) rather than having to use a scarce fate point.
    Last edited by NEPHiLiX; January 17th, 2012 at 08:58.

Thread Information