DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    When I have a bit of time, I'm planning on expanding the Human language fonts a bit - hieroglyphs for Osiriani, Arabic for Kelish, Chinese for Tien, Runes for Skald, Cyrillic for Varisian (?), Hindi for Vudrani, etc...
    Update done. All modern Human languages for Pathfinder are covered (ref Inner Sea World Guide p251).

• Hallit - based on Tibetan alphabet.
    • Tien - Based on Chinese script.
    • Shoanti - based on Sequoyah writing.
    • Polyglot - based on Ethiopian alphabet.
    • Shadowtongue - Cirnaja font.
    • Vudrani - Hindi script.
    • Osiriani - Hieroglyphics
    • Skald - Hyrrokkin Runic script.
    • Kelish - based on Arabic alphabet.
    • Varisian - Cyrillic Russian.

Thanks for all your work, Trenloe! I'd just check with the Paizo people that they're happy for you to use their language names in this way. You might start by looking at the Community Use Policy. Or you could just e-mail them and ask.

Keep up the good work!
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Callum
    Thanks for all your work, Trenloe! I'd just check with the Paizo people that they're happy for you to use their language names in this way. You might start by looking at the Community Use Policy. Or you could just e-mail them and ask.
    Thanks for the reminder Callum. I usually include the community use statement, but for some reason didn't this time. The extension has been updated to include this now.

Okay, here's my version, using only languages listed in the SRD and the PRD, and sticking to the SRD's allocation of alphabets to languages. I've added common to the languages in the extension, for use in those situations where there's a character who doesn't speak common, and to have a base font for use with common-based languages such as halfling (I assigned the font that was used for goblin to common, since goblin uses the dwarven alphabet in this version, as per the SRD). Finally, as a Pathfinder bonus, I included aklo (the only language in the PRD that isn't in the SRD), assigning it the dwarven alphabet.

So this is the list for my version:

/lang {abyssal|aquan|auran|celestial|common|draconic|
    druidic|dwarven|elven|giant|gnoll|gnome|goblin|
    halfling|ignan|infernal|orc|sylvan|terran|undercom mon} {text}

It would be easy to paste in the modern human languages from Trenloe's version, if you wanted to combine the two.
    Last edited by Callum; October 26th, 2011 at 15:58.

Using this extension a bit more, I've found one odd feature - it doesn't provide a translation for the player who types the message, only for the GM and for other players whose characters speak that language. Of course, you know what you've typed, but it makes it tricky to check for typos, or scroll back later to check what you said earlier. Would this be easy to change?

Another little improvement (in my opinion!) would be not to give the name of the language when the PC doesn't speak it, so instead of "Wilvaer is speaking Halfling" it would say "Wilvaer is speaking a language you don't understand". Could this be done easily?

Using this extension a bit more, I've found one odd feature - it doesn't provide a translation for the player who types the message, only for the GM and for other players whose characters speak that language. Of course, you know what you've typed, but it makes it tricky to check for typos, or scroll back later to check what you said earlier. Would this be easy to change?

Another little improvement (in my opinion!) would be not to give the name of the language when the PC doesn't speak it, so instead of "Wilvaer is speaking Halfling" it would say "Wilvaer is speaking a language you don't understand". Could this be done easily?
    Hey Callum - thanks a lot for your work on this extension. I've re-coded areas of the extension that were using the 4E Chatmanager special messages functionality and moved these to the FG V2.8 OOBMessage functionality - this now fixes the issue with the speaking player not seeing a translation.

I've also changed the code so that everyone sees "Wilvaer is speaking:" but no language. Those you can see the translated text see "Translated Halfling:". This was the easiest way to implement this functionality - I hope it's OK?

V2.3 released - see first post. I've combined all of the SRD/PRD languages, changed the alphabets in line with the SRD and added the Paizo community use statement to cover use of the modern Human languages. Thanks again to Callum for work & suggestions on all of these items.

Hey Callum - thanks a lot for your work on this extension. I've re-coded areas of the extension that were using the 4E Chatmanager special messages functionality and moved these to the FG V2.8 OOBMessage functionality - this now fixes the issue with the speaking player not seeing a translation.
    Great - I'm glad you could fix it! And no thanks are needed - I'm happy to do my bit for the community. But, really, it's all your work (and Tenian's before you, of course).

I've also changed the code so that everyone sees "Wilvaer is speaking:" but no language. Those you can see the translated text see "Translated Halfling:". This was the easiest way to implement this functionality - I hope it's OK?
    Yes, I think that's good. In fact, I'd be inclined to change the "Wilvaer is speaking:" line to match the ordinary chat functionality (i.e. to "Wilvaer: " without a carriage return before the speech bubble).

V2.3 released - see first post. I've combined all of the SRD/PRD languages, changed the alphabets in line with the SRD and added the Paizo community use statement to cover use of the modern Human languages.
    Good work, again, rationalising it all. You still need to update the fonts for Aquan, Auran, and Giant to match the SRD alphabets though.
    Last edited by Callum; October 27th, 2011 at 21:18.

An interesting feature! The amount of flavor this can add is astounding. Kudos.
    Character List: Currently Vacant!

Yes, I think that's good. In fact, I'd be inclined to change the "Wilvaer is speaking:" line to match the ordinary chat functionality (i.e. to "Wilvaer: " without a carriage return before the speech bubble).
    Good idea. However, to do this requires the chat message being put together (sender and text) and you can only use one font for both of these. So, to get the sender name and text on the same line, the sender name would be in the language font too.

Unless someone better at FG LUA knows how to get around this???

I've done a minor modification - now it just says <sender>: rather than <sender> is speaking:

Good work, again, rationalising it all. You still need to update the fonts for Aquan, Auran, and Giant to match the SRD alphabets though.
    Thanks for spotting that. I've made the change.

New release available in post #1.

Thread Information