STAR TREK 2d20

Need some organizational Advice

Running an AP, it is going well they have hit level 4. The next book is delving into some non traditional mass combat and I need some advice on how to do this in FG. My players keep up with the forums so if a DM with experience running Mass Combats in Pathfinder FG could send me a PM that would be great.

Are you using the Mass Combat rules from Ultimate Campaign and/or Ultimate Battle? If so, I did this using the existing NPC sheet, as follows:

Army HP is put directly into the HP field.
    OM is encoded using an attack. For an OM of X, the attack looks like "OM +0 melee (1d20+X)". You don't actually roll the attack though. Double clicking on the damage portion simulates the armies attack roll.
    DV is encoded as DR: <number> in the SQ field.
    Morale bonus is encoded as the Fortitude save bonus. Morale check == Fort save. If you need morale modifiers, those can be encoded as "SAVE: n fortitude" effects.
    All of the tactics and strategies are encoded as Effects on the Actions tab. If you need to see what those look like I can send you some screen shots later. But most of them boil down to combinations of DMG and DR, where DMG is the OM modifier, and DR is the DV modifier.

The casualty modifiers are a little tricky because they apply both to you and your target, and don't apply to the OM - DV calculation directly. I typically do those manually, or just ignore them.

You need to add all the armies to the CT, then drag them onto a dummy map. If you're using Ultimate Battle you can hand-draw the 'zones' as needed.

There might be a few other details I'm not remembering right now, but that's the gist of it.
    Last edited by darrenan; October 15th, 2015 at 20:05.

Aside from the actual mechanics above, I will just say that I've used these rules in two different Wrath of the Righteous campaigns, and I will never, ever, use them again. They are un-fun in my opinion. Neither group of players enjoyed the mass combats. The only saving grace is that the battles are typically over very quickly, but they end up not being memorable in the least.

I would either move more in the direction of actual army miniatures combat, with real tactical options, or just dispense with mass combat altogether. As an alternative you can devise some scenarios or events within the mass combat that the players participate in that helps swing the outcome of the battle in some way.

Just my opinion based on personal experience of course, do with it what you will.

Cheers!

Thread Information