DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Tenian's language extension for 3.5E & Pathfinder

This is an old thread - see the new thread here for the latest versions and further development: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...G-3-0-rulesets

I've modified Tenian's language extension to work with the 3.5E and PFRPG rulesets. Note: The languages in this extension are fairly generic 3.5e/PF languages, but also include most of the Pathfinder Inner Sea Human languages as well.

Recommended that GMs use the new generic CoreRPG "Language Chat" extension available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...G-3-0-rulesets This still uses the same 3.5e/PF languages but has the ability to add custom languages, store custom languages in a module and repeatable letter scrambling to overcome the copy/paste "cheat".

Update - V2.5. 19th December 2013.

Now works with Fantasy Grounds V3.0!

Attachment 5706

To Use:

/lang {abyssal|aquan|auran|celestial|draconic|druidic|dw arven|elven|giant|gnome|goblin|gnoll|halfling|igna n|infernal|orc|sylvan|terran|undercommon|aklo|necr il|orvian|common|hallit|kelish|osiriani|polyglot|s hadowtongue|shoanti|skald|tien|varisian|vudrani} {text}

Players can only speak in languages listed on their sheet. It will provide translations as needed.

The Host can speak in any language. They can also use a second command to speak in any font, even those not associated with languages (emotefont for example)

/fc {internal font name} {text}

Thanks so much to Callum for reviewing and modifying specific to the 3.5E and PF SRDs.
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 3rd, 2014 at 13:49.

Wow, thanks Trenloe! I was putting together the First Steps: Part II scenario and the translation effect will work great with alot of the encounters. Thank you!

Languages?

So, I've realised a few of the languages in the extension are specific to 4E:
    1. Deep Speech
    2. Primordial
    3. Supernal

Anyone have an idea what these should equate to in 3.5E/PF? For Pathfinder, I'm thinking:

1. Deep Speech = Undercommon?
    2. Primordial = Terran?
    3. Supernal = Celestial?

Does that sounds about right? Should we be adding more in to cover other languages like: Infernal, etc.?

Here's the SRD list of "common languages":-

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/speakLanguage.htm

Note that there are only six alphabets, so the nine provided by Tenian's extension (assuming each font is different) should cover all of them. I'd change Deep Speech to Undercommon and Supernal to Celestial, as you suggested. I'd also change Abyssal to Infernal, since that's the base language and alphabet. Terran makes sense for Primordial, but so does Aquan, Auran or Ignan. Since these are fairly rare, and covered by other alphabets already, I'd recommend changing Primordial to Druidic, since that's the only alphabet not already covered.

Arent there others as well? I dont have the Scenario in front of me...but for exapmle, the langauge of the aspects in the First Steps Part II scenario (Khellish?) Ill see what I can find when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen
    Arent there others as well? I dont have the Scenario in front of me...but for exapmle, the langauge of the aspects in the First Steps Part II scenario (Khellish?) Ill see what I can find when I get home.
    Yeah, there are - a lot more in fact. There is a languages section in the Inner Sea World Guide - page 251, that lists modern Human, ancient and other languages; 39 in all.

Callum brings up a good point of alphabets - which is essentially what this extension does initially (changes the font for an alphabet change). Expanding it to include languages that use the same alphabet could be difficult - unless we just list the human languages with the same alphabet as "***" or something similar.

For example: Trenloe speaks Varisian: "******", Translation "Hello!"

For me, the font is an ancillary concern - so long as the nosy pc's can't read it! As a result, I think your solution works as far as Im concerned.
    And Kelish is the language I was hoping would be added!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Callum brings up a good point of alphabets - which is essentially what this extension does initially (changes the font for an alphabet change). Expanding it to include languages that use the same alphabet could be difficult - unless we just list the human languages with the same alphabet as "***" or something similar.

For example: Trenloe speaks Varisian: "******", Translation "Hello!"
    Last edited by Talen; October 21st, 2011 at 01:01.

Thanks Callum for the info and the link.

I've done the following to the extension (link in the first post):

1) All Modern Human languages (Pathfinder) will display the Wingdings font for the speach and then will translate for players who speak that language. Wingdings isn't great, but it gave me a quick fix.

2) I've mapped aquan, auran, druidic, ignan and terran to what was primordial before (I've removed primordial).

3) infernal maps to abyssal. abyssal is still present.

4) celestial is now supernal. supernal has been removed.

Thanks for the another great tool Trenloe (and thanks again to Tenian for the original).

When I have a bit of time, I'm planning on expanding the Human language fonts a bit - hieroglyphs for Osiriani, Arabic for Kelish, Chinese for Tien, Runes for Skald, Cyrillic for Varisian (?), Hindi for Vudrani, etc...

Thread Information