FG Spreadshirt Swag

FG could not load ruleset root file

I've been modding the 3.5 ruleset, and now if I try to load a campaign I've created using the ruleset, I get "Could not load ruleset file (base.xml). Do you want to try reloading the data?" Base.xml is sitting in its proper place in the root directory of the ruleset. Does anyone know what might cause this or how to fix it?

How are you modding the ruleset? Inline (unzip, replace, zip) or expanded in a separate directory?

In most cases, for minor changes, I suggest creating an extension instead of editing the ruleset directly. If you are making more major changes, you can extract the files into a 3.5E directory under the rulesets directory of the FG2 application data folder. You won't receive updates to the ruleset automatically, if you choose to expand and edit directly. If you edit inline, your changes will be overwritten on the next update.

It only throws the error you are seeing if it can't find the base.xml file at all. (i.e. missing PAK, incorrect PAK format, base.xml not in root of rulesets/3.5E directory)

Regards,
    JPG

I copied the 3.5E ruleset and pasted it into a new directory, which I renamed. I can create a new campaign or manage characters with no problems, but when I try to load the campaign, I get the error.

So, what is the name of the ruleset directory?

It should be something like
    "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\3.5E".

Also, if you created the campaign you are trying to open in a different version of 3.5E, and you renamed the ruleset, this could be a problem. You can view the ruleset that the campaign is trying to use by looking in the campaign.xml file in the campaigns directory for the campaign you are trying to load.

Regards,
    JPG

Awesome, you led me right to it. My ruleset folder was M&M3E, and the campaign.xml had it as MM3E. I'm assuming that the ampersand is an illegal character and it omitted it. I changed the folder name to MM3E, and it's working fine now. Thank you very much.

Yes, the ampersand character (&) is not a valid character in XML tags, so FG ignores it when comparing ruleset names to avoid other issues.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information