DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 23 First 123412 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen
    Is the hero lab use just a validation or is there some other use?
    Nope, its not just validation. On the HeroLab supports FG threads a few people were asking for HL and the FG character importer to support NPCs/creatures.

Now you can create custom creatures and bad add NPCs in HL and import them to FG with this parser.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 8th, 2011 at 11:34.

I'm not sure if this is just an error on my part so I thought I would ask. I have tested both a Hero Lab stat block and a sample monster from Bestiary 2 with no issues parsing either using the instructions provided.

The issue I am having is both creatures AC are correct in the module however both have their AC changed to 10 when I place them on the combat tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn
    I'm not sure if this is just an error on my part so I thought I would ask. I have tested both a Hero Lab stat block and a sample monster from Bestiary 2 with no issues parsing either using the instructions provided.

The issue I am having is both creatures AC are correct in the module however both have their AC changed to 10 when I place them on the combat tracker.
    Hi Koryn - no, it's not an error on your part; it's on mine! The AC line in the library entry has "AC" at the beginning - that's causing FG a problem. I'll fix that in the next release of the parser (which will be out soon).

When errors do arise, how do you pinpoint the spot with the error occurred using the log file? Does the log pinpoint the creature where the first error occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by Talen
    When errors do arise, how do you pinpoint the spot with the error occurred using the log file? Does the log pinpoint the creature where the first error occurred?
    Search for an entry "FormatDataFile: Reading and formatting creature stat block:" it will tell you the name/CR line from the text file. Then all the lines after that should relate to that creature.

You should see something like this in the log at the beginning of each creature stat block:
    Code:
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: Entered Sub FormatDataFile.
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Read past starting blank lines (if any).
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Opened StreamWriter.
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Written DESCRIPTION line: A shimmering, colorless mass congeals to form a four-armed humanoid shape with an eye-like pattern in its torso.
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Written NAME line: Aeon, Bythos CR 16
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Reading and formatting creature stat block: Aeon, Bythos CR 16
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Written XP line: XP 76,800
    7/10/2011 10:33:03 PM: FormatDataFile: Written TYPE line: N Large outsider (aeon, extraplanar)

New Release - 1.0.0.9

Thanks for the feedback Talen and Koryn. There's a new release available (see first post) that addresses the AC issue and has some other minor improvements.

Please keep feedback coming - I'd like any issues reported so that we can get this parser working for 99.9% of creature stats...

Just wanted to give you guys a big thanks for a. Coding this and B. Testing it out, I know it will be a real boon for running adventure paths, and having the Bestiary 2 available to use as well.

Everything I have thrown at it is working great after the last update. I have been doing some testing with Tome of Horrors with success after a bit of editing to the text doc pre parse.

My thanks to you Trenloe for the work you have put into this. It is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn
    Everything I have thrown at it is working great after the last update. I have been doing some testing with Tome of Horrors with success after a bit of editing to the text doc pre parse.
    Great to know it's working well for you.

Tome of Horrors was going to be my next check - what editing did you have to do to get it to work?

EDIT: Actually, I see what is up. The Tome of Horrors doesn't use the section headings that normal stat blocks do (Defense, Offense, Statistics, Ecology and Special Abilities) - the parser relies heavily on these headings to be able to extract information across multiple lines with some sub-headings sometimes being there and other times not (e.g. Aura appears rarely).

So, for other people's information, Tome of Horrors creatures will need the section headings putting into the stat block - Koryn, I'm sure that's what you've already found out...
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 11th, 2011 at 01:33.

So, for other people's information, Tome of Horrors creatures will need the section headings putting into the stat block - Koryn, I'm sure that's what you've already found out...
    The only thing I had to do other than add in the headings was change the semicolons on the saves line to commas. Perfect parse after those two things are done.

I was perusing the legal appendix at the back of ToH and pondering whether materials in the book could be compiled for general use. Not sure if this is something each user would need to do for themselves.

Thread Information