STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 22 First 1234513 ... Last
    Found an issue that potentially corrupts the database when importing a HeroLab Pathfinder file. It might be localized to HL PF characters, but I disabled download link until we identify.

Thanks,
    JPG

The issue has been resolved, and the download link reactivated.

Additionally, Cody has implemented an installer, so it can be easily installed/uninstalled.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks to both of you!

Edit: May I suggest an option in the new installer to not create a desktop shortcut?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Leonal; August 2nd, 2011 at 04:16.

Character converter updated.

• Can overwrite existing characters on import. Appearance, notes, spell rolls (3.5E) and power abilities (4E) are preserved.
    • New icon
    • New application icon
    • HL import: Memorized casters available spells per level set to one for all levels, since data is missing in HL export.
    • HL: Spell DC stat added.
    • PCGen: Spell Descriptors (Acid, Cold, etc..) added.
    • PCGen: Spell Schools/Subschools added.
    • PCGen: Empty spellsets are removed.

Also, it turns out that the built-in MS installer does not provide an ability to display an option for whether to setup a desktop shortcut, just on or off. However, it does a very good job of making sure any dependencies are installed for older Windows versions, which is why we're using it.

Cheers,
    JPG

NullReferenceException

Thanks for crafting such a great product!

It ran fine the first time. I saved a Hero Labs character in xml format, then used the importer to add it to my campaign. It was amazing and wonderful. Alas, every time I have ran it since then I get this error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Xml.XmlNode.SelectNodes(String xpath)
    at FGCharacterConverter.CharacterConverterForm.Conver tHLToXml(XmlNode input)
    at FGCharacterConverter.CharacterConverterForm.conver t_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    CharacterConverter
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4229.22588
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Fantasy%20Grounds%20II/Character%20Converter/CharacterConverter.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.232 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    It looks to me like i might not be exporting the characters correctly, but I can't find any documentation.

I had written my own rudimentary tool for PCGen, but this is so much nicer, no XML editing! Thanks again!

UPDATE: I redownloaded and ran it again, get the same "NullReferenceException", but now with a bonus "Corrupted assembly: please redownload program." error. So I redownloaded, installed and uninstalled a few times more, same problem. Might have a problem with .NET version? Will try reinstalling .NET now
    Last edited by Raedmere; August 7th, 2011 at 20:50.

Reply to Raedmere

Thanks for reporting the bug Raedmere. Now given that you used the installer the .NET framework should have been installed for you, but in case you would like to double check it requires the .NET 4 framework (Client or Extended).

In order for me to address it properly I am going to need a little more information. If you could provide as much of the following as possible that would be great!
    What operating system are you running and 32-bit or 64-bit?
    How have you interacted with the program before the error occurs?
    Where is the error displayed (Windows System popup, Console, or Converter popup)?
    Does the error crash the program?
    Screenshot of the program throwing the error.
    Any Hero Lab .por or .xml outputs you used with the converter. Label the ones that have caused the error.
    System specs. (I recommend this tool if you don't know how to access your specification easy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy)

I am testing the application and trying to reproduce that error, but I am having difficulties without knowing more about your setup. Thanks again for the feedback and glad you liked.

Best regards,
    Cody Stebbins

Blog Entries
    A NullReferenceException sounds like you have a piece of data not filled in that it expects to find filled in. Attaching or sending the xml files should help debug it further -- but my guess is that it has something to do with the specific character.

Does your first try character still exist in the form that worked the first time?

Does it allow you to import that character into a brand new campaign?

Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to import from Hero Labs 4e files? If I used Hero Labs instead of Wotc insider character builder would it be possible to import the file? Thanks.
    --Doc Waldo

i've tried several times to import different xml herolab pathfinder characters into both existing and a new 3.5 pathfinder campaign, but i get the same error

----Conversion Results----
    Null Argument Node. <Path:@name>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:armorclass/@fromsize>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Strength']/attrbonus/@modified>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Dexterity']/attrbonus/@modified>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Strength']/attrbonus/@modified>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Dexterity']/attrbonus/@modified>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:classes/@level>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:classes/@level>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:@name>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:race/@name>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:alignment/@name>
    Null Argument Node. <Pathersonal/@age>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:size/@name>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:deity/@name>
    Null Argument Node. <Pathersonal/@gender>
    Null Argument Node. <Pathersonal/charheight/@text>
    Null Argument Node. <Pathersonal/charweight/@text>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@pp>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@gp>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@sp>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@cp>
    Null Argument Node. <Path:xp/@total>
    Could not convert : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

what the heck is going wrong? it must be something i'm doing wrong or the importer doesn't like vista 64. help please!

Doc_Waldo,

We haven't looked at importing the Hero Lab 4E files yet, since most people are using the DDI Character Builder for their 4E characters. It's on our list to look at adding in the future, but we wanted to focus on the most used scenarios first.

Thanks,
    JPG

Thread Information