DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 28 First 123412 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by ksm
    Scraping the PHB worked. However when I try to parse the results I get an error;

I think I can see were the extra <p> tag is, but it looks like I might need to edit the files to fix - and it may have done this in several locations?

So is this the Compendium spitting back malformed data, or something in the parser?
    @ksm
    Using Notepad++ you can search for the offending tags specifically, and change them all at the same time using the Replace function. The file you need to edit is in the input folder (assuming you followed the tutorial on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki about Scraping) where you selected your scraped files to be dropped into. It should be a text document titled powers.txt or rituals.txt and such.
    Last edited by Mooses8D; July 12th, 2011 at 01:49.

Yeah, I've done that in some files from the previous version of the parser.

Now at least the scrape is 100% successful.

Many thanks to EugeneZ for putting in all this work.

All those that are getting tag errors... its a fairly simple fix actually.. just delete the offending tag in the .txt file (for Monsters Vault this works, I would hazard a guess it will work for everything.)

Go into the file in notepad

Edit->Replace

replace <p class="publishedIn"> with nothing.

With Monster Vault you will also need to replace <h1 class="atwillpower"> with nothing

New FG2 user, and I have to say - this tool is freaking awesome. TY for updating it, no idea what the prior versions were like but yours has been flawless, so far.

Couple of questions:
    [/list][*] Is there a way to scrape more than one source book at once? I get that I can get all the PHBs, for example, by doing one at a time and appending to the same directory, but ...! [*] What is the "Backgrounds" option scraping when I select it?[*] How do I attach tokens/images automatically? I can see the menu options in parse mode, but not sure how to setup the token image files correctly to make this work.[/LIST]

Blog Entries
    @Eugenez: 4.1.1.1 installs fine for me. Scraping several books now, will let you know how I get on.

@bnason:

Quote Originally Posted by bnason
    Is there a way to scrape more than one source book at once? I get that I can get all the PHBs, for example, by doing one at a time and appending to the same directory, but ...!
    Not that I am aware of. As you have said you can scrape each one sequentially and append the data but thats it.

[*] What is the "Backgrounds" option scraping when I select it?
    Backgrounds refers to Regional Background and Traits data available in the Compendium for some campaign worlds. Basically characters from certain regions gain benefits. See the Forgotten Realms Players Guide for an example set of regional benefits for the continent of Faer&#251;n.

[*]How do I attach tokens/images automatically? I can see the menu options in parse mode, but not sure how to setup the token image files correctly to make this work.
    For NPCs, place your tokens in a folder and point the parser's npc entry tokens folder to it. Then match the name of the tokens (in lowercase) to the names of the corresponding NPC entry name in your npcs.txt file. The parser will then automatically attach the token to the NPC data in the module you are building.

Otherwise you have to manually link the tokens for each NPC/group of NPCs, using the ZToken notation in the npcdata.txt file.

Linking images for Story and Reference text is achieved using the ZLINK notation.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    @EugeneZ:

Scraping seems to be working just fine, I scraped severed books worth of content with no runtime errors.

Parsing the scraped content on the other hand generally failed due to either equipment, powers or familiars content containing an offending and unclosed <p class="publishedIn"> tag as part of the item, power or familiar description. Removing the offending tag from all files using search and replace fixes the problem. The files appear to parse OK after that.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thanks for the reports and testing, everyone. I just don't have the time to properly test this thing so these updates are only possible thanks to you guys. New release coming this weekend!

@arotter: Can you contact me on IM? It'll be easier to diagnose what the problem is so that we can solve it once and for all. My AIM screenname is eugene0506, my MSN/gChat/e-mail is [email protected], and my skype is "eugene.zar".

@DrZeruss: Looks like that tag you bolded is indeed the last remaining major issue... everyone else in this thread seems to be facing the same issue. I'll take care of it this weekend, thanks!

If there's any feature requests, this thread would be a fine place to put them. I probably won't be able to get to them for a few weeks (I have a vacation coming up) but there's no reason not to start a list.

Thanks for the clarification, Zeuss. I scraped/appended Monster Manuals 1-3. It's like ... 2,000 NPCs. Probably overkill to worry about marrying up the tokens for everything. The library is slow enough to open with that much as is.

Which leads to my question ... Does anyone have any "best practices" around what to parse? My game is going to be for some new people. I'm thinking of parsing Player's Handbook 1 (powers, classes, races), the Adventurer's Vault (items), Monster Manual 1, and some reference material from the DM guide (diseases, poisons). It will realistically be plenty of content for me to have available, and in the Library for them to access as needed (especially powers / feats, which I know they'll want to look at).

Really curious to learn more, however, about how some of you are using the Parser and what you build out with it.

Lastly -- some specific Qs:

1) NPCs - Fluff File - what is this in reference to (and where do you get it from?)
    2) NPCs - Templates - is this from the DM guides (presumably?)
    3) Reference - Manual - what is this option?
    4) Tables - I'm assuming this is just what it says (effect tables, etc.) - but where do you scrape these from? I don't see anything in the Compendium mode to scrape tables.

Also -- getting an unhandled exception error trying to use the Catalog -> Catalog mode. Beginnng text is below; let me know if it would be helpful to post the full error details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.IOException: The directory is not empty.

One more dumb Q - is it possible to scrape a full adventure module from DDI? It looks like I can get a few campaign settings, etc., in the compendium mode - but when I go to parse, I'm asked for an encounters, skill, and story file. Compendium mode doesn't appear to scrape those things. Does that mean that to utilize the Adventure section of the parser, I just need to create these respective files manually?

One more dumb Q - is it possible to scrape a full adventure module from DDI? It looks like I can get a few campaign settings, etc., in the compendium mode - but when I go to parse, I'm asked for an encounters, skill, and story file. Compendium mode doesn't appear to scrape those things. Does that mean that to utilize the Adventure section of the parser, I just need to create these respective files manually?
    No, the compendium doesn't have that information, so it's impossible for the scraper to pick it up.

As for the Catalog error, I'm probably not going to fix that for a while unless people are really interested in using it. To my knowledge, no one has actually found the catalog to be useful (correct me if I'm wrong). At least some part of the original goal with that was to assist with my ill-fated character importer.

Thread Information