FG Spreadshirt Swag

Easy Skills and Initiative rolls?

Hello. I'm extremely new to FG2 and have already learned a lot from the forums. So, if you've ever posted a response or advice on pretty much anything I want you to know that I really appreciate it and you guys do good work.

On to my question. My players and I just had our first session using the software and we really enjoyed it. However, one thing we found annoying is that Players have to drag and drop Initiative and Skill modifiers into the modifier box before making rolls, whereas the GM can simply double click pretty much anything to have it show up in the combat tracker. We want to know if there is anyway making rolls can be as easy for the Players as it is for the GM. Obviously, dragging, dropping, and then rolling works, but we're curious to know if there is a faster, more efficient method.

We're running the current version of software, 3.5E ruleset, with mostly Windows 7.
    Running on pure Plot Devicium since 1986.
    Like D&D Actual Play podcasts? Check out mine! It's called Shocking Gasp. Enjoy!

Have you tried double-clicking the total box? Some of the rulesets have double-click die rolling implemented. This will roll the die (with the modifier for the skill or initiative). I don't know if it's in place on the 3.5e ruleset, as it's not a ruleset I use.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerus Prime
    However, one thing we found annoying is that Players have to drag and drop Initiative and Skill modifiers into the modifier box before making rolls, whereas the GM can simply double click pretty much anything to have it show up in the combat tracker.
    I've just checked this in 2.7.6 - 3.5E ruleset. Indeed, you can't double click on initiative, skill mods etc and get the roll. This option is available in the d20_JPG ruleset (downloadable from the downloads section), and I believe that it will be available in the 3.5E ruleset when 2.8 is released.

I'm currently using the d20_JPG ruleset (with the Pathfinder extension V8.3) with FG 2.7.6 for my campaigns and this has double-click to roll on skills, initiative, attacks, damage - drag-and-drop on monster attack and damage rolls, auto populate initiative rolls in the combat tracker, etc. Try this out - or try the test V2.8 3.5E (keeping in mind it is in test)...

Ok, cool. Thanks for the heads up. Now, I'm assuming that if I do switch to the d20 ruleset I'd have to re-enter all of my campaign info and monsters and such? Or would it magically port over and be fine? Luckily, I don't have much in right now, so it wouldn't take very long.
    Running on pure Plot Devicium since 1986.
    Like D&D Actual Play podcasts? Check out mine! It's called Shocking Gasp. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerus Prime
    Ok, cool. Thanks for the heads up. Now, I'm assuming that if I do switch to the d20 ruleset I'd have to re-enter all of my campaign info and monsters and such? Or would it magically port over and be fine? Luckily, I don't have much in right now, so it wouldn't take very long.
    Yep, the short answer would be that if you go with the d20_JPG ruleset you should create a new campaign and then re-enter the stuff you have already - although a lot of it will probably work (make a copy of your campaign directory, rename it and change the <ruleset> version in the campaign.xml file in this directory).

This raises an important question/decision for you - in the long run, you will probably want to be playing with the 3.5E ruleset in V2.8 as most of the good stuff from d20_JPG will be there (and some other good stuff from the 4e ruleset) - but that is still in testing.

I suppose it all depends on if you really want the functionality available in d20_JPG now or can wait until V2.8 release comes out or can try using the test version of 2.8. As you're new to FG, I'd not recommend using the test version just yet - as you're not familiar with normal operation you may mistake standard functions for bugs or vice versa...

Up to you really... You could try upgrading to test V2.8 (make a backup of your campaign directory), open your current 3.5E campaign, make sure all of your data is there and see if it works for you and the nice new functionality is to your liking. If not, roll back to 2.7.6 and give d20_JPG a go, or stick with 3.5E in FG 2.7.6 for a while...

Let us know how you go!

The double-click code isn't that difficult to put in. It may be worth doing a custom 3.5e until the changes come through. The campaign file (db.XML) wouldn't then have the same compatibility issues.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

I have seen in FGv2.8, with 3.5E v2.0 that at the campaign loading screen it offers you the opportunity to convert d20_jpg campaigns to the new 3.5E standard, so if you do move over to d20_jpg now, the ride back over to 3.5E later on should be smooth and handled by FG itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    I have seen in FGv2.8, with 3.5E v2.0 that at the campaign loading screen it offers you the opportunity to convert d20_jpg campaigns to the new 3.5E standard, so if you do move over to d20_jpg now, the ride back over to 3.5E later on should be smooth and handled by FG itself.
    Excellent - thanks Sorcerer. That makes me feel very happy - hopefully I won't have any issues converting my Pathfinder Carrion Crown campaign over to 3.5E once v2.8 comes out - fantastic!

Hecklerus, that may make your choice easier? Play d20_JPG now and convert to 3.5E once V2.8 is out? That's what I'm doing - but don't let that sway you - do what feels good for you!

Thread Information