DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Destin, Florida (Paradise) Central Time Zone

Archiving powers and such

How do you do it?

Cant seem to add anything to the library in 4e.. pointless tool from what i can tell. I started dragging my players powers onto a blank character sheet with the class for the character name to archive class powers for future reference. And will be adding more as we go.

So how does everyone else do this?

The library window is purely a way to view module data. It can not be managed or edited as a campaign data source.

The only objects which are managed completely inside the campaign are: story entries, notes, encounters, NPCs and items.

I actually have a similar request on the wishlist, but it is not currently scheduled. Since it requires custom work for each ruleset (different objects and different views), I don't think anyone has taken this on yet. This could be done as an extension.

Cheers,
    JPG

Add me to the list on that wishlist. A Powers tab would be AWESOME! Especially for the 4th edition tool set.. Multiple tabs so you could add the different classes, and allow it to differentiate between at will, encounter, daily, and utility alot like the character sheets do, but make it seperate than the character sheets.

This would allow GMs to start archiving powers. I have had players erase powers by accident. Also just had one want to retrain... I just started asked my players if they would help starting with our next session (which they all said they would). They are all going to type in one or 2 powers before the game actually begins. At which point I am going to drag the power they type in over to the Archive character sheet.
    as they say
    Together
    Everyone
    Accomplishes
    More.

I guess I don't understand 'archiving powers'?

Could you explain this more computertrucker? I've been running 4E weekly with 7 players and I've never come across any need to move them to a blank character sheet and I'm intrigued what your doing and for why.

Also maybe this would shed more light and there may be something already available you've not discovered yet that can facilitate that for you more easily.

Cheers,
    ~Ictinike

Powers in the 4E are drag and drop... If I have the powers Archived, players will be able to add them to their character sheets much faster if one say erases their power by accident (this has happened several times as my players have stumbled along learning the software). Or if we have a new player come to join us. Inputting their character becomes much faster. as they input their class and stats, then just drag and drop the power they want onto their sheets. Same goes if someones character dies or they decide they want to play something different.

Leveling up or retraining also becomes much faster. With less manual inputting of the powers effects.

Also if I decide to make an NPC and I want him to be certain class or have a certain class ability. I can drag the power over to the NPC for easy access.. much like the item Archive that is already in place.

I have tried using the parser and scraper and I will say I am not a programmer. Everytime I have tried to use it, I get errors nonstop. I really dont have the time to learn how to go in and fix all those errors. Also even if I could get it to work. I do believe I have read somewhere that the powers do not actively insert onto the character sheet? I could be wrong on that. But i swore i read it somewhere.
    Last edited by computertrucker; May 4th, 2011 at 03:59.

Understood.. I have the modules that contain all of that data so while I can see your dilema not having it.

are the modules drag and drop do they input correctly into the character sheets?

You are able to drag and drop powers from library module into a character sheet.

The only issue to keep in mind is this: wether your typing a power from a book or dragging it out of a library module, you need to check the errata to make sure there haven't been any changes to it.

Here is the link to the rules updates. I believe they do rules updates approx. every 4 to 6 months. https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article....updatesarchive

They just released an update at the end of April it was mostly PH with some Heroes of the Fallen Lands and a bit of Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.
    https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates

Thread Information