DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

It is my intension to make all of these patch extensions cumulative - so that you only need to apply the latest one.

I also tend to mention that somewhere in the thread (sometimes at the start and sometimes at the end).

There may come a time, when I want to try something out which I am unsure about, or which is based on totaly optional rules. At that point I would post it as an extension without a version number and state very clearly that it is a purely optional extension "for use with CnC ruleset version XYZ"

Don't throw the old extension away just yet, keep it until you are happy that I haven't introduced more bugs with this version than I have fixed. That way if you encounter something that is a real game breaker you can always unselect this version and reapply the old one.

Up to and including this extension the possibilty of a rollback is there.
    There may also come a time when I need to make changes that cannot be undone without restarting a campaign, or without some xml editing.

If that ever happens I will give clear warning to back up your campaign folder before applying the patch. That way if the worst comes to the worse you can roll back the patch and your campaign to a state that the previous patch recognizes.

by the way one of my real bugbears with FG is that it is very easy, even without changing anything, or editing any database files to get some corruption that causes the game not to load. Unfortunately rather than just reporting the error. FG tends to try and solve the problem by applying a backup copy of the db file. If it fails to load that second time it trys to go for a backup copy doesn't find one and loads a fresh BLANK database, meaning you lose everything.

Therefore it is always good practice for you to keep a backup of your campaign folder somewhere safe. I usually make a copy before every session just to make sure I only lose one session if there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    Unfortunately rather than just reporting the error. FG tends to try and solve the problem by applying a backup copy of the db file. If it fails to load that second time it trys to go for a backup copy doesn't find one and loads a fresh BLANK database, meaning you lose everything.
    Um... holy cr@p! Jeez... thanks for that info! Throwing out user data without a warning/option to abort, sorry, that's pretty unforgivable programming. Come on, not even a dialog that indicates the problem and tells you that continuing will potentially destroy your data permanently. Just... wow.

I guess I need to get some kind of much more aggressive backup procedure going! To lose those hours and hours of work would just be withering.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    updates are always rollups so you only select the last one.
    Just want to clarify, the comments that Sorcerer made about his ethics on updating the C&C ruleset should only be thought of, I believe, within the context of Castles & Crusades. Blue Heaven made a comment about another ruleset, and the patches for that ruleset may or may not be cumulative.

We're lucky to have you watchin' our backs, Sorce!
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

I have to admit that most of the problems I have experienced were my own fault - leave one closing tag off when editing the db and a wipe is almost the expected outcome in my (limited) experience.

but this has also happened from crashes and other [i swear it wasn't me] things..

anyway. when applying a patch its always good practice to back up your data.

The paper notes I have from games I ran 25 years ago are still with me, the spreadsheets I made under windows 95 are already unreadable.

yes I was only referring to the work that I am doing for C&C.

I have written modules for savage worlds in the past (2 of which are still sitting on Doug's desk unpublished!) but that ruleset is firmly in the hands of Phantomwhale, any updates will come from him.

Thank you!

Sorcerer,

It's gotten busy in the C&C room since I've been away. Good to see that there may be some interest when I finally re-start at least one of my campaigns. I will probably do a couple of one-shots soon and can even do some one-on-one tutorials for new C&C DMs.

I appreciate your ongoing update of these files. I haven't looked at any of the new extensions in awhile, but can offer feedback when I finally begin prepping some new modules.

Best,
    Rob
    I enjoy running Castles & Crusades. Current campaign(s) on hiatus.
    Willing to run one-shots for players who want to learn the ruleset. Feel free to contact me.

Blog Entries
    @doc
    its fg2 that does the reload from backup etc automatically. i have had it do it to me when my host application died but i didnt lose any data (or any that im aware of).
    either before or after each session zip up that one folder and add the date to the file name. might come in handy one day....

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    @doc
    its fg2 that does the reload from backup etc automatically. i have had it do it to me when my host application died but i didnt lose any data (or any that im aware of)
    Oh definitely - I'm not bagging on the esteemed Sorcerer... may his beard grow ever longer. Or his list of receivables, whichever he prefers. This isn't a ruleset issue.

I'm always a bit circumspect about bagging on FG, as I don't think that anyone's making a lot of money here. Living where I do, I'm grateful that FG exists, that C&C exists, and that Sorcerer has personally upgraded it into a real first-rate ruleset (and ironically, through working on sea-faring materials for my campaign, have just come to find out the "first rate" is antiquated nautical term from the golden age of sail - heh). I don't think the developers are sitting around collecting their Smiteworks paychecks and snorting at us. I think they're doing the best they can with the resources they have.

But I do feel justified to complaining about the db issue that Sorcerer was referring to. Deleting user data with no warning is waaaay at the top of the list of "never dos." If a problem cannot be overcome without deleting user data, then the software should, bare minimum, give the user the option to quit the program or continue and potentially lose data. Hopefully the software will inform the user where to go to get more info on the problem, too.

To quote Capt. Hook (and throw in another nautical reference), "Bad form!"

Thread Information