Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Destin, Florida (Paradise) Central Time Zone

What Voice Clients do you use?

Just curious to see what all voice Clients people are using to run their games. Or if they use voice clients at all??

I have been running my current game now since the end of Feb, We had had 8 sessions so far, At first we were using Ventrillo but since decided we didnt really want to pay for voice so now we all are using Skype. Which actually has much clearer and superior audio over vent..and its free.

Its like being a on a party line on a phone. Unlike Vent which if someone keys up to talk it completely walks all over the person how might currently be talking.

So what Voice Client are you guys using?

Skype only. Most of the times it works extremely well, and have only had a few minor bad experiences due to a player having poor bandwidth.

Tried out GSC, but the audio was so bad for some and it didn't work well with voice activated microphone. Also we dislike push to talk.

In games I've played, I've used Ventrillo. In games I've GM'd, I've used Mumble.
    Both are good, I like Mumble because its full featured and free.
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.
    PC 1: So if we kill a 'M' is it reincarnated as a 'W'?
    PC 2: That damn 'O' just won't die!

I had the opposite experience in my games. I started out using Skype, but it seemed like players with connection issues were a constant problem. I switched to Ventrilo, hosting my own server (as long as you stay at 8 or fewer users, the server program is free), and that has worked quite well.

Ventrilo server run from home allows up to 8 to connect for free. I find it to be the most stable. Skype doesn't even run on my Windows client anymore, something broke in the registry.

Never used a voice client in games. Keep meaning to give it a try for OOC chat but never have got around to it.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Skype when I (rarely) use it.

Previously: MurghBpurn

Mumble, use it for all out games.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Blog Entries
    Skype for straight up VoIP OOC, Mumble if I also want to mix in background music or ambient sound effects.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I found Skype bandwidth issues originally when I looked into this 5 years ago. Bandwidth might be better, but Ventrilo is such low bandwidth overhead and we use for MMO games too.

JPG

Thread Information