STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I agree with you on this one RK.

It is obvious by what you have shown that different writers over the years have indeed changed the meaning and intent. I have already conceded that I was wrong on the statement that it hadn't changed. Clearly it did.

The changes prior to 1e AD&D were understandable, as Gygax was building the game from the spark of an idea in Chainmail to what would eventually become a very professional work in 1e AD&D, while simultaneously building TSR from nothing to a professional business. From Chainmail to 1e was only about 4 years. Then 1e lasted from 77 to 89.

And you are also correct that Basic D&D and follow-ons were a totally separate design stream. They essentially had two versions of D&D going at the same time which weren't compatible with each other. The basic game had much shorter rulebooks and didn't go into much design explanations and discussions like the AD&D book did.

One of the things I loved about the 1e PHB and DMG written by Gygax is that he didn't just tell you the rule, he explained it and gave good clear logical examples. They are not simply rulebooks, but a window into the soul of what the game's creator conceived the game to be. Both books read more like a conversion between him and you the player rather than a laying down of rules in a technical manual. Even today, I consult what he wrote in those books.

Clearly, things started to change by the time that 2e came around and continued to change even more in subsequent versions. The real question is whether those were good changes. I personally, don't think so. I think it was sloppy at the very least and possibly showed a lack of respect for the work that Gary Gygax had done in laying out the concepts of D&D in the 1e manuals.

Regarding the discussion specifically on the intent of the meaning of hit points - I point again to Gygax's statement about the 4 heavy war horses. He had thought thru the implications of the rules and used common sense.

I have to admit that when it came to basic concepts like the definition of hit points, I didn't actually read it in my 4e manuals, since I've known what was intended from the creator of D&D from back when I read his explanation in 77. Having seen your quotation, however, I'm happy that, at least in regards to this topic, they seem to be giving the man a little more respect in going back to his original intent.
    Last edited by vodokar; April 23rd, 2011 at 09:45.

Thread Information