STAR TREK 2d20
Page 12 of 22 First ... 21011121314 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Thete
    In a blue sky ideal, the window would represent the players as a schematic with all cards as nodes for easy click access, but a simple list would suffice
    I agree that the little radio buttons for cycling through the different action cards/conditions/etc is slow. Perhaps something similar to the library screen would work better? A list of the different card types down one side and the ability to drill down to specific cards?

Quote Originally Posted by neilgfoster
    I agree that the little radio buttons for cycling through the different action cards/conditions/etc is slow. Perhaps something similar to the library screen would work better? A list of the different card types down one side and the ability to drill down to specific cards?
    In my mind I picture something you don't have to drill down too much. A window that shows a list of all the cards associated with a character at a glance, ideally with the current recharge displayed too. Actually it could be a tab on the character sheet. But I think what you're suggesting could be cool for the GM, a library, drill-down style list of all the active characters, npcs, party sheet with sublists of attached cards. I think it would be important that it just listed cards that are actually in play in someway.

Btw I've been playing around with the format of the Action Cards in an attempt to reduce the number of tabs to three, I find players get a little lost on the four tabs, will shoot you an example when I get it looking ok

So I purchased the ultimate license based on Doswelk's excellent tutorials for savage worlds and Neil's excellent work on WHFR ruleset.

As is common, my group is far flung and difficult to pin down and I really wanted to play WHFR badly!

So I got the ruleset loaded and I am making my entries into the library .mod file. It is going slow but well, only adding the actions and entries etc. that I am using at the present time.

Some of questions:

1. Is there a way to make a dice pool from an action card? Ie. I choose to use Melee Strike and it makes the appropriate dice pool that I can drop into the pool creation box? (the brown box above the dice). There are entries for misfortune, challenge, fortune and expertise for each action card entry.

2. Can you make new action card types like teamwork, basic, defense that are attributes of an action but not currently in the ruleset?

3. How does slotting a talent work? Maybe I missed something along the way. There is an area on the character sheet, but I cannot seem to make it work? The party sheet allows it by clicking on the talent slot type, it generates an empty slot. On the career card there are talent slots that you can click to change, but they don't affect the character sheet, at least mine doesn't.

I'll probably have more, but I just dove in today for the first time. Excellent work on this ruleset! I'm looking forward to running some games.

Thanks!

monkey

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkeyWithAFez
    1. Is there a way to make a dice pool from an action card? Ie. I choose to use Melee Strike and it makes the appropriate dice pool that I can drop into the pool creation box? (the brown box above the dice). There are entries for misfortune, challenge, fortune and expertise for each action card entry.
    Not at the moment. It is something on my list of things to add in a future version of the ruleset.

2. Can you make new action card types like teamwork, basic, defense that are attributes of an action but not currently in the ruleset?
    Unfortunatley not as the action types are coded into the ruleset. The supported action types are Blessing, Melee, Ranged, Social, Spell and Support. The only way to add new action types would be to create an extension for the ruleset.

3. How does slotting a talent work? Maybe I missed something along the way. There is an area on the character sheet, but I cannot seem to make it work? The party sheet allows it by clicking on the talent slot type, it generates an empty slot. On the career card there are talent slots that you can click to change, but they don't affect the character sheet, at least mine doesn't.
    Make sure to select your characters active career. In the characters career list, the small tick box to the right of a career name allows you to select which one is the characters current career. This will then cause the careers talent slots to appear on the rest of the character sheet, as well as updating the characters stance with the career stance.

Glad to hear you are getting some use out of the ruleset. If you have any other questions then just ask!

Not at the moment. It is something on my list of things to add in a future version of the ruleset.

Unfortunatley not as the action types are coded into the ruleset. The supported action types are Blessing, Melee, Ranged, Social, Spell and Support. The only way to add new action types would be to create an extension for the ruleset.

Make sure to select your characters active career. In the characters career list, the small tick box to the right of a career name allows you to select which one is the characters current career. This will then cause the careers talent slots to appear on the rest of the character sheet, as well as updating the characters stance with the career stance.

Glad to hear you are getting some use out of the ruleset. If you have any other questions then just ask!
    Thank you for the quick reply! I loaded up the ruleset this AM and tested that out to see how it looked, very nice.

Because I'm new to this software, the next question I have is rather general.

Is the only time that you have active character tokens, in the upper left, when you have active players connected to the game?

Is the only time that you have active character tokens, in the upper left, when you have active players connected to the game?
    Yes. As GM you can create and edit characters but their portraits only appear when a player is connected. Note that a player can use more than one character, so one portrait will appear for each character a player is using.

You can test how the ruleset works for players by running FG twice on the same machine. Run it once and start a campaign as GM, then run FG a second time and join your campaign.

This way you can switch between the windows to see how the ruleset looks for both GM and players.

Yes. As GM you can create and edit characters but their portraits only appear when a player is connected. Note that a player can use more than one character, so one portrait will appear for each character a player is using.

You can test how the ruleset works for players by running FG twice on the same machine. Run it once and start a campaign as GM, then run FG a second time and join your campaign.

This way you can switch between the windows to see how the ruleset looks for both GM and players.
    Thank you for that info, I'll try tonight.

Something I noticed this AM when I was putting together an adventure into the story section. When I was trying to get focus on a specific section of text, it was selecting text below where my cursor was hovering. I also could not click in a text area to edit the field easily.

I'm hoping that it will correct itself upon restarting the application and it was just a minor glitch.

I have the WHFR font extension enabled if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Hey Neil, quick note to say I downloaded and looked at the WFRP ruleset. Like the dice hacks and use of library module for cards ! Not a WFRP player, but always nice to see what others have done with the FGII engine nice one
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

After a little break for the festive season and the arrival of a new addition to the family, I thought I'd post to let people know that development of the ruleset will be picking up again as I get back into the swing of things.

The plan for the next release is to address any issues that have been raised, add support for the dice symbols throughout the ruleset, plus add support for the new rules introduced in Lure of Power. Hopefully I will get this done pretty soon as I have finally managed to crack the dice symbols.

Thread Information