STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcolville
    When you look at the CT, do *you* see their targets?

When they roll, does it say "PC attacks Monster" or whatever?
    I do see their targets, although i did notice a slight difference with the players that were having problems: their targets were displayed with a green box behind the token rather than the token only.

It was not making any mention of the target whatsoever, instead simply rolling the attack roll and displaying results.

We ran into this issue the other night, which was fixed by players keeping their ct open. when pc's had a ct closed on their end it would not show hit miss
    or roll direct damage... the players with the ct openned did show hit/miss and damage was properly distributed. I dont know if this is a recent change as i'm new to the dm'ing side. However, i know that as a player i rarely had the ct open and I believe it would show hits/misses and record damage properly but i could be mistaken and the dm was doing extra work to take care of that.

Generally speaking, the DM must have his combat tracker open. The player must at least open and his combat tracker once after DM has opened his (the player can close it after opening it once though).

This is because really everything is run through the DM's tracker. However for somethings on the player side to initialize the player tracker must be opened so it can connect to the DM's tracker.

However, you might be right about something changing recently as some of my players seemed be having some problems lately.

I've got players on, like, *wildly* different monitor resolutions. Can the tracker be minimized and still function thus for players?

Generally all the player has to do is open and close his tracker once - after the DM's tracker is open. Should the DM close his tracker then a lot of things don't update on the player trackers until the DM re-opens his.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    Generally all the player has to do is open and close his tracker once - after the DM's tracker is open. Should the DM close his tracker then a lot of things don't update on the player trackers until the DM re-opens his.
    Copy. I'm not 100% convinced that the tracker needs to be open, but only because I had several players all in and everything was working and I don't remember telling them to open the tracker. I'd just be surprised if they all did it independently. Easy enough to test next time!

If it is required, might make sense if you could share it to the players like an image. GM opens it, shares it, now everyone's all linked up and they can do what they want with their trackers.

As I mentioned, I am working on a way to do that with the next version. It requires expanding the API to add token event handlers independent of a token instance. Currently, you need a copy of the token instance in order to specify event handlers, and the token instance information is stored in the combat tracker.

You need to fire up the combat tracker, so it can initialize and add the event handlers to the tokens. The links should stay valid when the combat tracker is closed. However, when new combat tracker entries are added, the player combat tracker needs to be opened again to add event handlers the new tokens.

The API should be available in v2.8, and it will be added to 4E in v2.8.1.

Cheers,
    JPG

or the pc's can minimize their tracker, takes almost no room but still allows new instances.

Do I have this right?

The option "Target: Enable PC actions" has three settings - Off, Report and On.

• Off = PCs cannot drag-and-drop dice onto map or CT
    • Report = PCs can drag-and-drop dice onto map or CT and chat only reports the numerical result; the DM needs to check against the monster's defences and confirm a hit or a miss to the player
    • On = PCs can drag-and-drop dice onto map or CT and chat also reports a hit/miss result; ie the DM does not need to refer to the monsters as FG2 does this for him

My preference for this is the Report option, as I do not want the level of automation that the On option provides. Report also allows me to fudge things when I need to (or want to).

However, it seems to me that third-party targetting is ONLY available when using the On option. Is that right?

Take Lance of Faith as an example. This allows the Cleric to grant a +2 power bonus to an ally's next attack against the target of the prayer. Do this in FG2 by targetting that ally and Shift-drag-and-dropping the effect line to the original target of the prayer (ie the NPC/monster). The ally will receive an appropriate effect (something like "ONCE; [TRGT: Monster]; ATK: 2") and FG2 will apply it appropriately (ie apply the bonus if the ally attacks that target and not if he or she doesn't).

But all that functionality only appears to be available IF we use the On option for "Target: Enable PC actions".

When you have it on Report, it simply reports the effect to the chat window and the DM then has to apply it. But that's no good because by then it has lost all the information it needs to work correctly. Try it and it applies the abovementioned effect to the original target of the prayer, rather than the ally.

Is there something I am missing here? Some setting or procedure I am neglecting that would allow this. If not, is it possible to implement this to allow for both (by which I mean *Report* the attack results AND enable third-party targetting effect drops)?

Thanks.
    DNH
    "Lost in Karameikos"

I actually just replied to another thread about a GM that wanted the option to hide roll results (i.e. compare AC, show vulnerable/resist, etc.), but wanted to allow effect application.

What I proposed in the other thread was to add an option between On and Report that would only report roll results to the GM for non-friendly targets.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information