Starfinder Playlist

Thread: Help Files

Help Files

I am new to Lua, Java, & XML. To help me understand it better I am building a CHM file (coming from my VB background). I am using all the info from your online help files.

Here is what I have so far (about an hour of work).

Is there going to be a problem with publishing this online for others to use? I put your copyright in the file. Are there other docs (EULA, etc) that I need to include?

I am exporting it in four versions (a CHM, multi-frame HTML, word doc, and a PDF). All of the versions support cross-linking that allow you to jump around a doc without having to do too much scrolling.

--Edited to remove old version. See later posts for up to date version.
    Version 0.9 RC1 available in post #5
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...43&postcount=5
    Last edited by SpudmanWP; December 28th, 2010 at 23:39.
    'Build it and they will come'
    Universal Table Rolling Get it HERE
    FG2 Help Files Get it HERE
    Getting the Most Out of Notepad++ (FG2 & Lua spellcheck & Auto-Completion) Get it HERE
    Printing the contents of a table Get it HERE

Spudman,

First, thanks for taking on this effort. I looked at doing something similar, but I didn't have the tools or experience. We always invite the community to help us make the product better.

To answer some of your questions:
    * We can make links to your documents available from the Library section of the web site once we have reviewed.
    * Once we see the final results, we may want to publish directly on our site as well.
    * Please include copyright information for Smiteworks USA LLC, 2010 for any content you use from the web site.
    * We will need your permission to use the documents on the website.

For my information, I'd like to know which tool you are using in case I need to look at something similar in the future.

Also, the version you posted to this thread contained a CHM that had an index, but no data. At least, when I tried to use it.

If you want to move the discussion to e-mail, just send us a note at:
    [email protected]

Thanks,
    JPG

Thanks for the OK to copy your info, and for making a great game tool.

1. There are 4 ways to automatically export the help files. In the CHM and Web page, each page footer contains "Copyright © 2004-2010 SmiteWorks Ltd. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.". For the PDF and Word Doc, the copyright info is on the Welcome page. I plan on post-editing the PDF & DOC files to add it to the standard footer section.

2. You have my permission to use the files however you like. Do I need to do it in writing or is this declaration ok?

3. The software I am using is called HelpNDoc (https://www.helpndoc.com/) and has both free & paid versions. The only difference is that on the free version a small one-line banner at the bottom of each page.

What I have so far (version 0.2) contains all the data for the Modification Guide, Packages & Objects sections and the first 4 in the Elements section. Also, until I get all the info in, the links in the documents will direct to your web pages and will direct internally to the help file later.

Here is a CHM and indexed PDF.

--Edited to remove old version. See later posts for up to date version.
    Last edited by SpudmanWP; December 17th, 2010 at 23:10.
    Getting the Most Out of Notepad++ (FG2 & Lua spellcheck & Auto-Completion) Get it HERE

Here is the first complete version (ver 0.5).

Outstanding issues:
    1. All internal links on the pages themselves still point to web pages instead of the help file itself.
    2. The table of contents is in but indexes are not yet.

Attached are CHM and PDFs.

--Edit--

Older version removed due to file getting updated in a later post.
    Last edited by SpudmanWP; December 28th, 2010 at 23:38.

Woot.. Here is the RC1 of the first final version.

All the info is in and all the internal links are also in. Here are the stats:
    460 Topics
    1,686 Local links
    490 Internet links
    I also started a 3rd Party Tools & Docs section where I plan to integrate guides that others create. The first one in is SoulOfTheReaver's Library Module Guide (ver 1.2).

Attached are CHM and PDFs (Version 0.9 RC1).

Thread Information