5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: Thoughts on 2.8

Thoughts on 2.8

OK, my general thinking at the moment is that 2.8 will primarily be a big 3.5E update. There will also be a few minor features, a couple bug fixes and some developer features also.

Given that, I have been heads down rebuilding 3.5E from scratch to use all the latest and greatest ruleset features we have built. In addition, I will be looking at PF as well to see what can be done.

One thing that I would like to do is update the theme for 3.5E to be slightly different than 4E. Currently, they look identical, since I'm using all the new code and graphics.

Does anyone want to take a stab at helping me re-theme 3.5E?

I already tried simple color casting on the current theme, but it didn't look good. Given the current code and graphics, any theme that works for 4E will work for 3.5E.

Cheers,
    JPG

Not quite sure what you're using on 4e (it isn't a system I play at the moment), but using the previous SW d20/3.5e theme might be an idea:
    • It is a classic, familiar theme, long associated with FG and d20; and
    • Its sort-of-retro look chimes with 3.5e's emerging role as a system with which some people feel more comfortable ('safer').

Just a thought

Stuart

Where would you want all the graphics posted? It might be best to have a bunch of us submit what we can, then you can pick and choose what you want to use... some people are great at making buttons, some are great at making repeating backgrounds, etc...

I think the first step is change the name of the ruleset. Since 'D20' is no longer a license, I recommend the OGL as a principle part of the title.

Perhaps where the dragon is large and singular on the 4e desktop it might become the 'O' in OGL as the central image of the OGL ruleset.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Just tossing a first draft idea out, but how about a dragon scale desktop? It would still need some more work, its a bit obtuse, but I'm sure you can see the general idea, and yes it tiles.
    Last edited by unerwünscht; April 12th, 2011 at 02:20.

Possibly just changing the dragon symbol to something else to would distinguish it away from the old 3.5 version. Like another dragon symbol but with him face us with his mouth open.

Other then that I've always liked the old fill over the design, but I think no matter what it changes to, the new features under the hood, will be more rewarding then just a renewed design .
    AbacusForge - Blog
    Think - Develop - Build

Player:Yes Times: Contact Me

DM:Yes/Also willing to DM groups (PM me) Time: Contact Me

Rulesets: 3.5, Cthulhu

Stage two of what I am thinking, and as far as I am going to go for now, unless people like it... then I will work on it some more.
    Last edited by unerwünscht; April 12th, 2011 at 02:20.

Quote Originally Posted by unerwünscht
    Stage two of what I am thinking, and as far as I am going to go for now, unless people like it... then I will work on it some more.
    Works for me. Don't like the "hinges" on the chat window though. Maybe a "leather look" for the icon bar down the right?

Previously: MurghBpurn

Quote Originally Posted by StuartW
    Not quite sure what you're using on 4e (it isn't a system I play at the moment), but using the previous SW d20/3.5e theme might be an idea:
    • It is a classic, familiar theme, long associated with FG and d20; and
    • Its sort-of-retro look chimes with 3.5e's emerging role as a system with which some people feel more comfortable ('safer').

Just a thought

Stuart
    I second Stuart's thoughts. Can anyone really come up with something as elegant, something that feels as professional, from a design standpoint, as the previous theme? I don't think so.

The 4e theme doesn't come close, imho.

One of the great joys of FG has always been the seamlessly integrated design. When you have programmers and gamers all pitching in on design, you get some cool stuff, but it's not elegant, integrated, polished, like the previous, original theme.
    Last edited by Astinus; November 22nd, 2010 at 20:36.

Good thoughts. I'll try rolling back to the wood theme, and see how it looks.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information