Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Wizards announces the D&D Virtual Table

That doesn't look 3D. How am I going to import my virtual miniature from the character visualization suite?

You don't. It was folly to expect a fully 3D application, with light sources/visibility, that also support networked multi-player, voice and text chat, and integration of all the source content.

I am glad, however, that they have incorporate the tilesets and will probably use the new tokens that ship with the Essentials line. They say they don't have integration with the source material but I guess they must have *some* future plan for it depending on how they handle content creation for modules (importing monsters with stats/tokens), character sheets from DDI, etc.

Maybe the planned "Neverwinter" will be the 3D version of all this. Will have to see how extensible it is when compared to it's namesake; "Neverwinter Nights"

May never match the quality of FG. Will likely never match the value.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

I am not impressed. They may have an edge in the resource library and re-loaded graphics though.

I expected something better from HASBRO! Their VTT just reeks of fail.

Quote Originally Posted by unerwünscht
    I expected something better from HASBRO! Their VTT just reeks of fail.
    Indeed, they have promised much and the one thing they did deliver successfully IMO (character builder) has just taken a pretty big downgrade whilst paying customers beta test their web based solution.

Nice to see the old CB has been fiddled with by enterprising folk so that you can enter custom data now. I'm currently updating it with all the Essentials feats as a test.

How secure is FG's use of a 4E ruleset? I seem to recall Smiteworks getting a full green light (due to it's bare bones nature, with regards to 4E details), but I'd hate things to get messy if WotC get greedy over their new VTT down the line, and and throw their toys out of the pram.
    Last edited by Sorontar; November 19th, 2010 at 02:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar
    How secure is FG's use of a 4E ruleset? I seem to recall Smiteworks getting a full green light (due to it's bare bones nature, with regards to 4E details), but I'd hate things to get messy if WotC get greedy over their new VTT down the line, and and throw their toys out of the pram.
    Ya know we can salute that flag forever or get on with playing. Smiteworks will figure out something. Personally I think WOTC would be hurting themselves to go after customers genuinely enthusiastic for their products. I buy, or bought, their books while they were making 3.x. Now I buy pathfinder.

I couldn't play without either company so thanks to each.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Blog Entries
    I for one see this as a good move on Wizards part, even though at this moment I have no plans to move from FGII. Now Wizards have the makings of a VT I am sure over time once released they will add the integration with the online CB and future Monster Builder. It makes absolutely no sense not to.

The good news for existing FGII users is that it opens up another resource pool potentially, I am thinking in the first instance good quality digital 4E tokens and tilesets and later perhaps NPCs and other material.

For me the 3D aspect sounded nice but it would have detracted from the Role Playing element turning the game into more of a video game based RPG. The core features that attracted me to FGII was the table look, feel and immersion, oh and the 3d dice
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out. If they can run all their game systems through it (Dark Sun, the planned Ravenloft, Gamma World), it's not a bad thing. Having the ability to drop in updates across the board (DDI, Compendium, and now this VTT), gives them a bit of an edge if you want to play a pure 4E game out of the box.

Thread Information