STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Connection Issues

So, I was invited to my first ever FG D&D group, and on the night of our first scheduled game, I attempted to connect to the game about two hours early to create my character and prep for the night. To my dismay, I could not connect to the server. I assumed the problem was on my end because the GM had said he would leave the server up for us to connect. I went through all of the suggestions I could find in attempts to connect: enabled port 1802 incoming and outgoing, disabled firewalls of Microsoft & antivirus, and even went so far as to completely shut off my computer's protection. Still, nothing. I waited until about 30 minutes after the games start time for some help from the GM or another player posting into the calendar that i needed help, again nothing,

So, I abandoned my hopes of playing D&D anytime soon and have resigned to posting here hoping some of you good folk would be willing to assist me.
    Any help would be appreciated as I am currently regretting spending 400 dollars on a digital headache producer.

Blog Entries
    Hey C8kiemonstr try connect to me just now to test: insane hook puny idol - players do not need to pass the connection test - only GMs. Most likely the GM hasnt left the server up...

Or Windows 10 installed an update and rebooted his computer.

Thanks damned,

I ended up just going to bed after posting.

Did the game actually go ahead? Did you hear anything from the GM? Did you have the right time (adjusted for time zones)?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I had the right time, I have no idea if the game continued. I ended up resigning out of frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by C8kiemonstr View Post
    Still, nothing. I waited until about 30 minutes after the games start time for some help from the GM or another player posting into the calendar that i needed help, again nothing.
    A thing to keep in mind is that posting on the game calendar doesn't send a notification to the GM (or other players). They have to actually go in looking for posts, so there's a good chance they may have missed you asking for help.

I had the right time, I have no idea if the game continued. I ended up resigning out of frustration.
    That's a shame, you might be missing out on a good game. We all get frustrated sometimes, but for your first few games I'd recommend trying to work through issues or you may not get yourself into a long running game...

You can try to connect to me, so we can test if it's a technical issue on your end - I'll have my FG up and running for a while. Try connecting using alias insane damned dancing zacchaeus
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 13th, 2016 at 15:36.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So, I was invited to my first ever FG D&D group, and on the night of our first scheduled game, I attempted to connect to the game about two hours early to create my character and prep for the night. To my dismay, I could not connect to the server. I assumed the problem was on my end because the GM had said he would leave the server up for us to connect. I went through all of the suggestions I could find in attempts to connect: enabled port 1802 incoming and outgoing, disabled firewalls of Microsoft & antivirus, and even went so far as to completely shut off my computer's protection. Still, nothing. I waited until about 30 minutes after the games start time for some help from the GM or another player posting into the calendar that i needed help, again nothing,

So, I abandoned my hopes of playing D&D anytime soon and have resigned to posting here hoping some of you good folk would be willing to assist me.
    Any help would be appreciated as I am currently regretting spending 400 dollars on a digital headache producer.
    I have also been having connection issues (I will be a DM, though, so for me it's important to get everything up and going).

Here's my tech-naive workflow of resolving it. I will post at more length in case someone else comes to this thread looking for help:

1. Enable port 1802 on your local machine (which you did, I think):

a. Open control panel > Network and Internet > Windows Firewall > Advanced
    b. Click "Inbound Rules" and then click "New Rule..."
    c. Click "Open specific port" and enter "1802" for "TCP" (I think). Enable it for all accesses.
    d. Do the same thing for "Outbound Rules"

2. Enable port 1802 on your router<--- I think you need to do this

a. Open the command prompt (Right click start button > Run... > cmd.exe)
    b. Type Ipconfig and press enter. Write down your Default Gateway. It should be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. If it isn't, you may have to adjust it in the router settings via their login webpage (i.e. Telenet.be for Telenet IP routers in Belgium)
    c. In your internet browser, navigate to your Default Gateway.
    d. Login, your login is probably admin and password is admin or password, unless you changed it.
    e. If you cannot access your router admin page, this can be due to multiple reasons:
    i. Your router settings and admin page can be visited via the internet provider's website (i.e. Telenet)
    ii. Your router needs to be reset
    iii. You need to be "hardwired" in to the router (i.e. plug ethernet cable from computer directly into router
    iv. I read that this can also occur if your DNS gateway mask Ip is the same as your router IP. I have no idea, I'm not experienced with this stuff.

3. Other troubleshooting

a. Windows firewall / defender / other security softwarer blocking incoming connections > Check the ports from (1) are entered correctly and disable the respective security softwares, during the game
    b. Drink a really -really- strong rum and coke. Like only add enough coke to turn the rum coke-coloured.

Hope this helps at all. *Edit: Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You can try to connect to me, so we can test if it's a technical issue on your end - I'll have my FG up and running for a while. Try connecting using alias insane damned dancing zacchaeus
    @C8kiemonstr connected OK to me yesterday. So they should be good for playing.

Blog Entries
    What's with the custom alias?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information