DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

SOLVED: Using Physical Dice for Same Room Gaming?

I might go play with the XML, but is there a quick and easy way to let players roll real dice and then type the result into FG instead of rolling the virtual dice?

I'm going to see if I can make a popup or something that asks for the die results, but still adds the modifiers automatically.

Using PC with duel screens and a laptop for a digital DM screen and a HDTV hooked up to my HTPC to show the masked map to the players. I'm using the virtual dice, but they have "lucky" dice they don't want to part with.

Thanks!
    Last edited by libertechian; September 26th, 2010 at 15:38. Reason: Mark as Solved

Okay, Looking around.

If I can change the die scripts so that a d20 is not automatically added to the "roll" when a power is used, I can simply put the players die roll in as a modifier. For the powers of my NPC's etc, I should be able to somehow add a +1d20 to the powers description.

I'm barely starting to study Java, so XML and Lua are completely new to me. Any Ideas? I assume FG2 can be setup for non d20 systems

I've changed the 4e scripts as above. Mostly
    If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

How are you finding game play with your scripts?

Seems like a whole lot of extra work. For the record, I think the FG dice are at least roughly as random as the real thing.
    Last edited by Sigurd; September 27th, 2010 at 18:35.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

I'm kinda of curious about that too. I know if I had players physically rolling dice and everyone was in the same room, I probably would not bother to use the combat tracker at all.

Well I can see his point if the tracker is going to do some of the thinking for him. Round effects, order, monster attacks and defenses - there are things the tracker keeps 'track' of.

Die prompt for each attack might be elegant in some situations. Recreating exact battles with alternate monsters for example.

I don't know that I'd use an extension like this but some people obviously would.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm intensely curious about what the OP did and how it worked out.

I operate similarly, I run the client on a PC projecting the display onto my tabletop. My players do not roll dice in Fantasy Grounds, so the combat tracker is a highly functional table tracker for us (and for them since they can see up to date information on the table for everything in the combat.)

I use the monsters to roll hits and damage against them (though I still call out the AC because they may have situation modifiers up that I failed to take into account.)

However they roll their own hits, applying their own modifiers and call their AC and I give them results. Then I use the /die command to generate a number I can drop on the monsters Wnds column.

This mostly works great except that the damage has no source and therefore no types. I have to handle adjusting manually for all the DR and Resists. This sounds like no big deal but it can lead to a lot of errors.

It sure would be great if there was some way to input the results of a characters specific damage roll while retaining all the type information from the attack.

I have no experience with extensions or the scripting or anything. I'd be willing to explore these but wouldn't turn down a nudge in the right direction if someone has something similar going that might make a good example.

Blog Entries
    OP's Last Activity: September 26th, 2010 so I doubt we'll get an answer from him.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

That's essentially how I do it when I run my annual F2F game. (both 3.5E and 4E)

I use the combat tracker to track initiative, make creature attacks and damage, and apply wounds to creatures. I have a second monitor showing a player client connected to the host for handouts and combat tracker sharing.

Cheers,
    JPG

Is anyone using a flat screen mounted horizontally for the map display? Anyone tried both this and a projector and have any views on what's better? Seems like the projector would leave shadows when people are moving their minis/pawns. To run a client on another computer, you have to make a bogus character with which to share the maps/handouts.

Thread Information