STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Alternity

Alternity

Anyone do any work on a rule set for Alternity?

I don't think anyone has actively made one. Although honestly all you would need to do is create an extension to something like the D20_JPG with the character sheet, theme and incorporate the extras together. It's still a good amount of work, but a lot less than building an entire ruleset.

That would be a ton of work considering how different the mechanics are between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmalachdrim
    That would be a ton of work considering how different the mechanics are between the two.
    Not really. Alternity and 3e are pretty close, except that you're rolling down and you have to take into consideration that you're adding dice or subtracting dice from a roll.

The way I see it, there are 4 differences:
    1. Roll Low vs High
    2. Rolled Damage Reduction
    3. Skill upgrades are based on previous values
    4. Advancement

The last two items can be done manually.

The first isn't too bad, in theory. It would require some conditioning when the dice are rolled that would say, "This is a +5 so I need to 5 steps (+d20) and add the value." Sure, there's a couple of flaws with this, but for the most part it's accurate.

The second could also be done manually, it's just adding another die control.

Full automation, on the other hand, would be a bit more complex. However, the basics are there.

Full automation couldn't be implemented anyway because the mechanics are copyrighted and smiteworks doesn't yet have any deals with WoTC yet.

I know this is way outside what you want, but I had success running a campaign using Alternity's Stardrive setting books and adventures with the Savage Worlds rules. The SW rules handled it really well (I used the "Sci-Fi Toolkit" add-ons). Just a thought for an approach that might be easier than trying to fiddle with an extension to FG.

Savage Worlds, Burning Wheel, Fate...those are three of the most disliked systems by my group.

We like: HackMaster, RoleMaster, Alternity, Palladium, L5R (not the setting but the mechanics), HARP

Why not use the generic rule set?

I mean in face-to-face gaming you have to do all the dice calculations manually, so it would not be much different.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

If there is a group looking for a player of Alternity....Star Drive or Dark Matter....I'd be up for a game.

discord- armstrongsoljr#3924

Gregory
    LFG 1 Player flexible play time
    Term: join a Starfinder, Traveller, or a Spacemaster campaign
    Voice: discord
    Game System Experience: Played a variety of game systems including D&D, Alternity, Starfinder, Rolemaster.
    About me: enjoy a balance of Combat/Problem Solving/Role-Playing. Military veteran.

Thread Information