FG Spreadshirt Swag

Parsed 4e --> FG2 Library? (Adopt a Noob?)

Hello! I'm VERY new to FG2 and I'm trying to learn my way around. I tried to find some explanation of what I'm trying to do (much less how to do it) on the web and these forums, but I've failed, so I hope you'll forgive me if this question has already been answered.

I downloaded the 4e parser (I do have a DDI subscription) and I set it to Compendium mode, then pieced together how to parse the information out of a single source book (I started with the PHB1). I saved it onto a folder on my desktop, and it gave me several .xml files titled armor, weapons, powers, etc. So I assume I did that right.

I pulled up the parse mode, then, and tried to follow the instructions on the parse document that came with the program. I directed each of the items categories to the appropriate file on my desktop, etc. I got a little confused with the powers file. Do I set it up under the Powers/Feats/Features/Background category? And if so, are the powers the "data file" option? I admit that I was scratching my head there, but the file check came out good.

When I tried to actually parse, though, I got this error:

8/29/2010 3:40:15 PM : ERROR:System.Xml.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 147225, position 34.

<familiar>
    </familiar>
    <library>
    <lib4elibrary>
    <name type="string">4E Library</name>
    *** <categoryname type="string">D&D 4e</categoryname>
    <entries>
    <a0008ccpaladin>
    <librarylink type="windowreference">
    <class>reference_classpowerlist</class>
    <recordname>powerlists.ccpaladin@4E Library</recordname>

*scratches head some more* I have no idea what that says, but I suspect it means that I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing. Help?

Aaaaand, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, didn't I? Sorry.

Ampersands are trouble for the parser. Change it to an "n" or "and" and you should be fine. The reason is that "&" is reserved in XML.

...wow! THANKS!

I'm sorry for the convoluted post - I had no idea how close I was.

Not a prob. that issue hasn't popped up recemtly so it would have been a little difficult to find.

Im glad i found this I tried searching by the first line of the error and search results came back "0 results to display" then it said search term too long or something like that and i was like... darn
    Anyhow I had the exact same error and wasnt having it earlier.

On a side note I read in oberoten's parser tutorial that output category should be "D&D 4e Core Rules"- I know it's a guide for an old parser just thought someone should know

Dr. Zeuss had one that is more up to date. I'm not sure where it's at though. Try searching along the lines of "subscription" and it may pull up something.

Edit: Nope, it was "parser guide" with DrZeuss as a user. The "Creating Modules" page on the FGWiki is dead. Use this post.
    Last edited by tdewitt274; September 14th, 2010 at 04:40.

Blog Entries
    I think tdewitt274 maybe referring to this post

It was on the Wiki but due to the recent restore issues is no longer linked, maybe someone could add it back (I'm Wiki illiterate ).
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information