STAR TREK 2d20

Best Practices: XML Database Design

Hello All,

I'm attempting my first complete ruleset attempt (I've messed around before). I was wondering if anyone could provide insight as to the "best way" to organize the db.xml structure.

For example, using d20 as a reference, how would you group different sections of the Character Sheet so it can be used by other sections easily?

The discussion does not need to be specific to a certain ruleset.

Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be to group db entries under functional sections (skills, abilities, saves, weapons etc) which may not align directly to tabs on your character sheet because they don't have to. Each tab on the character sheet actually shares the top level of the charsheet db node.

The other thing to consider is whether your NPCs will have the same structure as your PCs so you can drag between one and the other. This is a non-trivial decision unless you want to write lots of code to translate between the two (or you don't need that functionality). Typically NPC lists, such as skills or spells, are held in free-form text, but PC lists are often expanded. Choosing the way you want this to work will have a big impact on usability, code complexity and ruleset design, and it is troublesome to get half way through a ruleset and then change you mind!

The CoC and BRP rulesets have similar PC/NPC structures, but not identical, so they have some element of code to translate from one to another.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by StuartW
    Hope that helps

Stuart
    Actually, it does! Thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions? Never hurts to have additional input.

Thanks again!

Thread Information