5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New to FG 2 Modding/Programming....

Ok, so I used to be a programmer, but I changed careers several years ago, and I'm pretty rusty.

Are the rules sets made for FG 2 based off XML files?

I ask because I'm wanting to make a rules set for Fantasy Craft. I'm hoping that I can just build it off of one of the 3.x rules sets, as it's just a d20 ogl variant, though the changes are significant enough that I feel a separate rules set may be needed.

So I'm wondering just how time intensive and difficult it is? I understand that in part that depends on my skills; I was just getting into XML, Java, and C# when I changed careers - I was a C++ and VB programmer - but as I said, it's been years.

The other question I have is, will making a new character sheet require me to make some kind of images, or will the writing of the xml files be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

Alas, Fg works with a combination of XML, Lua and graphics files.

The XML describes where the text ends up on the graphics files.
    Lua is used to handle how the text interacts (if it does at all.)

And the Graphics ends up as the backbone of it all.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberoten
    Alas, Fg works with a combination of XML, Lua and graphics files.

The XML describes where the text ends up on the graphics files.
    Lua is used to handle how the text interacts (if it does at all.)

And the Graphics ends up as the backbone of it all.

- Obe
    Oh dear. So, I understand there are some documents that explain how to do all this. Are they detailed enough and up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Morfedel
    Oh dear. So, I understand there are some documents that explain how to do all this. Are they detailed enough and up to date?
    See the bottom of the Library page. It should be up to date. The Ruleset Modification Guide has some links to the Lua site. Try there first, and then check out the source code for your favorite ruleset (4e is one of the most worked to date, IMHO).

The Anatomy of a Ruleset tutorial should help as well.

Ok thanks! I was going to start going through the library, just wasn't sure if it was current or not.

Well, I've decided to start working on the rules set. Since it's basically a 3.5 ogl rules set, I figure it will be best to work modifying off of there.

Thread Information