DICE PACKS BUNDLE

4e Condition Tokens

I've been mucking about with Condition tokens for 4e. Haven't tried them in game, yet (probably will next week). But, here's a preview of the tokens. I tried making them a little more decorative, but at smaller sizes the decorative bits just get muddy, so I've kept them clean and tidy. Developed for 64 px usage.

I'm interested in your feedback!

Where do you place these? In a custom map showing the party tokens? Interesting idea. Do the token names show the condition as roll-over text?

I actually thought that they could go under the player token. I'm not sure about having them show the correct condition on mouse-over, there may be a way to set it up so they do - it might involve making each condition an NPC and applying the appropriate token to that NPC. Drag it on to the map, and it should display the condition in a tooltip.

Otherwise (and the simplest way to handle it) is just to know what the colours and letters represent, and place these tokens on the map when required.

Like I said, I don't know the best way to use these - it'll just be trial and error as I go along. If anybody thinks of an interesting way to set them up, I'm all ears.

As much as I like the idea, there's a problem with putting other tokens in the same square as a PC. As far as I know, there's no way to layer the token so that they either move as a group or so that you always pick one over the other.

I've ran into situations (particularly when PCs are moving through each other's spaces) where they put one token down, then end up clicking on it and picking up the token which was 'underneath' the one the just set down.

This is why I thought it would work better in the initiative map some GM's use. Of course, tracking, visually, conditions in the Combat Tracker or Party Order (extensions for 4e or otherwise) would be a great shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by adminwheel3
    I've ran into situations (particularly when PCs are moving through each other's spaces) where they put one token down, then end up clicking on it and picking up the token which was 'underneath' the one the just set down.
    I've run into that, too. It seems that the last token used is the first token to pick up. So to use these in a "simple" way would be to move the player token temporarily, place the condition token, and then move the player token back. To remove the condition, do it again.

Problems arise when a player wants to move while under a condition, and you'd have to move both tokens. Not a huge deal, but I bet if a lot of conditions are flying around, it could get irritating.

The idea of using the available Party Sheet "marching order" map as a place to keep track of conditions is not a bad idea, either. Just place the player tokens down the left hand side, and place condition tokens in a row to the right as they come up, delete them as they end.

I've played a game of 4e using MapTools, and the campaign framework we used added a small visual cue to any token under a condition. It was a nice touch, and I'd like to try to do something similar in 4e. Unfortunately, my skills are in graphic design, not in coding.

C.

Thread Information