FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: WoD: Bug Fix

Exclamation WoD: Bug Fix

Unzip and place this file in the root of the ruleset directory, to replace the existing utility_preferences.xml.

Fixes a bug with the preferences sheet.

Stuart

since updating to 2.7.2 i found that the nWoD ruleset had a small issue where it added whatever was on the top of the stack as another dice pool. easy enough to fix.

I'm new to nWoD and couldn't figure a smooth way to make use of the 10 again rule. so I added it now when 10s are rolled rerolls are sent to the dice pool stack and the success threshold is set to 10 for all rerolls as stated in world of darkness books.
    Attachment 1691

the fix for the stack bug is included
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/hm9jd...20Darkness.zip
    hope someone finds this of use.

is there a way that i could get this to work on an older version?

also how do you set the difficulty? it seems that if the side menu bar did not become hidden it might work for older versions. but even when i ran it in 2.7 i wasn't able to find a way to adjust the difficulty setting

when i try to run it on 2.0.12 i get a desktopmanager.lua error, i can roll just fine but none of the menu options seem to work. i put a screen cap of what i get.

The ruleset certainly wasn't built for versions as old as 2.0.12 - for example dynamic sidebars weren't introduced until much later so the code just won't work.

When you ask about difficulty, what do you mean? I'm not sure there is a difficulty setting in the new World of Darkness rules.

Stuart

normally when you roll, you against a difficulty depending on the the situation, but from what i remember the base difficulty is like 6-7... its been awhile sense i have played so i dont remember everything, i am downloading WoD rule books so i can check if you want but i am sure you have them as well.

also from being an ex avid WoD player you might want to think about adding 5 more dots to your stats so you have about ten in totally as most bad *** forms you are easily above 5. or was there some other panel that i missed in your mod that has it. anyway when i runn 2.7 it looks really good

I was reading up on difficulty. idk if there is a way that you can allow the GM to set the difficultly automatically and then just have player roll.

excerpt from (the Mage book)

Difficulties
    ........ A difficulty number is always a number between 2 and 10. Each time one of the dice you roll scores that number or higher, you are considered to have rolled a success. For example, if an action has a difficulty of 6 (the most common difficulty number) and you roll 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, you rolled three successes. The more successes you roll, the better your character did. You need only score one success for your character to perform most actions, but it's a marginal success. Three or more successes usually means that you've succeeded completely. The lower the difficulty number is, the easier the action is. A difficulty of 6 indicates that the task is neither particular easy nor especially difficult. Of course, various modifiers can come into play, so don't expect every task to be equally simple!

The Storyteller should decide on the difficulty for all actions. Only the easiest actions have a difficulty of 2 or 3. A difficulty 2 task is so simple it's rarely worth the trouble to roll. A difficulty 9 task is extremely hard, and success is unlikely for all but the most skilled. Difficulty 10 tasks are almost impossible, for you have an equal chance of botching as you do of succeeding, regardless of the number of dice you roll. Only especially onerous tasks set by the Storyteller will have a difficulty of 10. Almost all tasks will thus have difficulties ranging from 3 to 9, and the majority will range
    from 4t? 8.

Botches
    Sometimes things go wrong enough to ruin your effort, or perhaps your entire day. The last important rule about dice in the Storyteller system is the "rule of one," also known as botching. Whenever a die comes up one, it cancels a single success. If you roll three successes and three ones, you score (in total) no successes, and your character fails. Sometimes life's just like that.
    The easiest way to keep track of this rule is to set aside one of your successful dice with each 1 that comes up. If you have any successes left,
    then your character succeeded; if you don't, he didn't. As stated previously, you fail if you roll as many or more 1s than successes.
    ----
    *my thoughts*
    maybe the easiest way for your to fix what you have if you need to at all is that if a player rolls a ten or a one just have it say re-roll or GM remove once success.

if you can set the difficulty and have it add and remove successes that would be awesome. also can you set up a floating box that is open to the player, gm, or everyone that would set a global or player specific difficulty?

more on your character sheets next post. I KNOW DON'T GET SO EXCITED
    Last edited by Cleb; October 30th, 2010 at 21:48.

Um you know I just realized that I didn't ask you if you wanted me to give you some pointers on your mod as a WoD player. would you like to hear what my thoughts are? I don't want to just jabbering on and possibly coming off as rude. ^^ if its "no" then I will b quite XD

I had a few idea about your character sheet breakdown in regards to making it more of a universal character sheet instead of just vampire. it might be less work for you in the long run idk.

well bless you
    ttyl

My search of Mage: The Awakening found no mention of 'Botches' as a keyword - are we talking about the same version of the game?

The ruleset is based on my copy of the World of Darkness Storytelling system from 2004, which is compatible with Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken and Mage: The Awakening.

Cheers

Stuart

Ahh I think I see the difference: the ruleset implements the Storytelling System, not the Storyteller system (see here), so our wires are crossed a bit.

In simple answer to the original question, there isn't anything for difficulties or botches, as these have been changed in the storytelling system, and the rule of ones has been dropped.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Thread Information