STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Skill Module?

From the docs -

Note:
    Class specific tags (example Artful Dodger) from the PHB and FR:PG are all included. Tags from newer material need to be added as dynamic tags.

Class File:
    -Old format (still valid)
    {Class|Paragon|Epic};{full name};{name if one word};{first 2 words of name if multiple words};{output class};{Power Identifier}

-New format
    {Class|Paragon|Epic};{full name};{output class};{Power Identifier};{[Catalog Group]}

-Dynamic tags
    {Dynamic};{Tag}
    So, it feels like that the the Class Feature information is parsed or at least, included, in the text. However I find no direct entries for it; especially "Artful Dodger"

Tags like "Artful Dodger" are to help the parser understand the blocks in powers that are feature-specific. Like, "Artful Dodger: In addition to the above, shift a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier" or whatever. There's not much more to it besides that, and it doesn't actually add any functionality to the resulting parse. Just bolds the text in the power stub, I guess.

Also, Tenian wanted me to mention that "Artful Dodger isn't a skill" but I'm pretty sure you know that already.

The best of a bad situation?

So after making my eyes blur learning how to do basic formatting in xlm, attached is the best I was able to come up with.

Is there anything more I can do? Coloring or changing the size of the font? Shading the cells?

Or have I reached the limits of what I can do with {formatted text} ?

Class features

Also, Tenian wanted me to mention that "Artful Dodger isn't a skill" but I'm pretty sure you know that already.
    Heh. Yeah, I know that. I am looking to "fill in" the missing data by hand. Just wanted to know what template block to use when entering in the information (formatting, tag, etc.)

Code example

Quote Originally Posted by adminwheel3
    So after making my eyes blur learning how to do basic formatting in xlm, attached is the best I was able to come up with.

Is there anything more I can do? Coloring or changing the size of the font? Shading the cells?

Or have I reached the limits of what I can do with {formatted text} ?
    This looks good! It's probably the way I will go for Class Features. Are you allowed to post the code snippet for the formatting?

I think so long as I don't post the actual text it should be fine.

I'll do that a little later today.

Sorted.
    It's sometimes a bit crashy but I am really starting to love XML Notepad's Tree View for working with duplicate database entries. I may end up breaking down and pick up a student version of oXygen's XML Editor or maybe code up an editor and handles a lot of the duplicated data that occurs when working with databases (see it a lot in weapons / equipment listings).
    Last edited by Stitched; July 12th, 2010 at 13:58.

The best way to enter features is....surprisingly enough...as features. You can place them in the powers file just like a standard power:

Code:
    Combat Challenge Fighter Feature
    blah blah blah paragraph 1
    \r
    blah blah blah paragraph 2
    This allows you to add them to character sheets, as powers, which means the various effects parse out of them. They generally show up as Situational Powers.

For large blocks of formatted text, the reference section is what you want. It supports all the formatted text tags that FGII supports and it organizes everything in a nested structure:
    GROUP (Chapter) -> SUBGROUP (Section) -> ARTICLE (Actual Text)

The reference file is a lot easier to format than the skill file (no need to put ZSKILL on every line, support for adding links to other articles/powers/etc).

Oh and Features aren't processed for classes from the compendium because the Class section of the compendium is very poorly organized. Search for Fighter and you'll find it appears only in Player's Handbook....but the actual text it returns includes entries from both Martial Power volumes.
    Paragon Path and Epic Destiny features are organized in a much more logical format, so they ARE processed by the extraction routines.
    Last edited by Tenian; July 13th, 2010 at 00:20.

@Tenian

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I just duplicated a Racial Feature entry, using XML Notepad, and went from there. Seems to work fine.

Actually, maybe here is the best place to ask this:

Is it BETTER to edit the parsed text file to add entries or edit the XML's directly to add information (which is what I have been doing with success)?

Thread Information