FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

First Aid Skill Base

Hi,

just a bug report: the base for the First Aid skill cannot be changed. It currently is set for modern campaigns, for Fantasy one needs to change it.

--
    cheers,

Vudo

If you want to change the skill bases you need to create an extension. See page 25 and forward in the BRP ruleset manual (which can be downloaded for free from the store).

hm, no, one can edit all other Skill bases for skills that are modified by the time the setting takes place, e.g. Medicine, Knowledge and others.

I guess it was simply overlooked.

@Vudo

peterb is right, you can edit skill bases by creating an extension for your setting. It is covered in the 'Adapting the Ruleset' section of the User Guide.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

ok, that won't be an issue , but why is it possible to change base chances for some other skills then? I mean, the First Aid is set to 30%, implying a modern setting. The % for other skills are 0%, though they should be 1% for modern settings. So it is either an error (and First Aid should default to INTx1), or the others are typed in for the wrong setting?

*confused*

Hi Vudo

I don't remember where I got the skill chances from, it was probably from the face of the generic character sheet (p381 of my BRP rulebook), which shows 30% for First Aid and leaves Knowledge undefined.

Stuart

It could be convenient to create and distribute 4-5 default extensions based on the most common genres (Fantasy/Medieval, Modern, Sci-Fi, Superhero). Something fan-made that could be used as a base for further extensions. I have experimented that an appropriate skill list is important for new players: it gives them important directions in the character creation process.

I have already done two extensions, one of which is generic enough to be useful to others, perhaps (Medieval, it adjusts skill bases and deletes Education from characteristics). Maybe I could post it next weekend.

Isn't the problem here that such extensions will contain source code for which Smiteworks claim a copyright? I'd gladdy share my two Stormbringer extensions and my RQ II extension (when it's done), but I'd like to get the copyright issue settled first.

The extension source code isn't an issue, provided you don't charge for the extension, but the game IP might be. Generic extensions (such as Modern, Fantasy etc) will be OK, but using Stormbringer or Runequest material without copyrightholders' consent isn't permitted.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Foen
    The extension source code isn't an issue, provided you don't charge for the extension, but the game IP might be. Generic extensions (such as Modern, Fantasy etc) will be OK, but using Stormbringer or Runequest material without copyrightholders' consent isn't permitted.

Hope that helps

Stuart
    That does help. However, I really can't see what IP could be challenged by, for example, a Stormbringer extension. The source code is 98% the same as the default sample extension. It's just a different set of skill names and different algorithms for damage bonus and category bonuses - neither of these are copyright protected.

If you would try to ship XMLified versions of rules books then I understand the problem, but if Smiteworks are fine with us offering modified versions of the sample extension then there should be no other IP involved (but Smiteworks) and thus nothing to worry about.

Thread Information